Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 11 and I'm considering Computer Science as an AS subject. Would I be more disadvantaged if I didn't take it for GCSE or is it manageable without any prior knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcagx)
    I'm currently in year 11 and I'm considering Computer Science as an AS subject. Would I be more disadvantaged if I didn't take it for GCSE or is it manageable without any prior knowledge?
    AS Computer Sciences does not require applicants to have taken GCSE at most sixth form. You will essentially learn everything you did at GCSE all over again, but the standards are higher and you are introduced to new topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcagx)
    I took it at GCSE and am doing it at As/A level, yes, a lot of the topics are the same and they will be relearned but as the course is longer and a lot more complex than at GCSE any extra prior knowledge helps a lot, there was someone who didn't do it at GCSE and dropped out before the exam as it was too much especially in conjunction with other A levels.
    If you really want to do it, perhaps doing some research/work on it before you start (probably the last thing you want to hear after GCSEs but trust me it's worth it).

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSE ICT and took A Level Computer Science, I've just done the exams and can honestly say it wasnt too bad, some of it is hard but if you work hard you can get round it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcagx)
    I'm going to be taking A level Computer Science, but I've only done GCSE ICT. I was told that not doing GCSE Computer Science was fine, but I'm going to teach myself how to program in Python (the programming language my college will use) over the summer so I at least know a bit before doing it :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcagx)
    You can study a CompSci degree without a CompSci A Level so I'm sure it will be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcagx)
    Hi, I was in a pretty similar situation as you last year,

I dropped ICT in year 8 and picked up Computer science AS in year 12 along with Chemistry, IT and Art with Graphic communication. I had no previous programming experience therefore had to learn python from the very beginning.

I've got my A-Level computer science exam tomorrow (22nd June) and if everything goes well, i'll be off to uni to study Computer Science there!

You have to be motivated to do well in this subject and I can tell you for fact there is a lot of problem solving. For an insight, learn a programming language to see if its something you really want to do. I used Code academy to teach myself Pyhton and HTML+CSS so I would really recommend you try it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.