Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"womens" library is it sexist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I found out Glasgow as a Womens library, now had it been used to preserve and educate about women historically I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But it runs talks and asks for volunteers/test subject that HAVE to be women.

Isn't that a club that dsicriminates?

What I found funny was it is running a hate speech lecture and wanted to hear from all backgrounds and wanted people with disabilities etc to give experiences.

Oh but the lecture is only available to women.

Also they only hire women for jobs working with them even if its a job in marketing and social media! Do they think men are going to be biased against women!

I think its very sexist and shocked they get funding for it especially when there was a story a few weeks back about a male members club who lost a huge amount of money for voting against allowing women to join even though they were next to a womans club who did the same thing and didn't get any bad press.

Double standards? What are your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    I agree it is sexist, and I am disgusted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    I found out Glasgow as a Womens library, now had it been used to preserve and educate about women historically I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But it runs talks and asks for volunteers/test subject that HAVE to be women.

Isn't that a club that dsicriminates?

What I found funny was it is running a hate speech lecture and wanted to hear from all backgrounds and wanted people with disabilities etc to give experiences.

Oh but the lecture is only available to women.

Also they only hire women for jobs working with them even if its a job in marketing and social media! Do they think men are going to be biased against women!

I think its very sexist and shocked they get funding for it especially when there was a story a few weeks back about a male members club who lost a huge amount of money for voting against allowing women to join even though they were next to a womans club who did the same thing and didn't get any bad press.

Double standards? What are your thoughts.
    Link please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Link please
    It's not that hard to find; use Google.

"Woman only library Glasgow"

From this quick search it doesn't explicitly state this, but I think so.

"Woman's library"
    "11 woman employed."
    etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the one, Im not sure if I am surprised or not surprised about the lack of responses.

I think a archive of females work especially given the lack of historical female authors is a good thing as long as its open to all sexes.

And whats the point of talks on equality or hate speech and only inviting women.

And why can't a man work in website design or media they do (as they don't need to know persons name)

It all seems one sided and biased.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.