Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am still in college but i am worried that i won't be able to get into the University courses that I'm interested in because i have no work experience around the field. Plus my personal statement is useless at the moment.

I am thinking about either going to Nottingham Uni and studying Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology, Leicester Uni and studying the same course, or Salford Manchester to study straight Psychology.

If anyone that is doing or have already done these courses could you please suggest what work experience would be best, or what you did that helped you get on the course please as i am really struggling as there is nothing in my area that could help me.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Does these unis require work experience for your course? Because I'm doing psychology and I did no work experience for it.

ReputationRep:
    You dont need it nor is it a requirement
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Focus on wider reading - a lot easier and far better on a PS and interview.

ReputationRep:
    I went to help out at my local RSPCA shelter for 3 weeks over summer (I already worked in one of their charity shops and fundraised for them so it was pretty easy to get time with the animals). I know it's not the same as humans but it allowed me to discuss things like operant conditioning in my personal statement because i'd watched animals have their behaviour assessed and seen them training the dogs to behave in a manner more suitable for homes. I really enjoyed it too so it was worth doing!

Like it's been said above, it's all about what you can apply. Reading is definitely a big one, they like to see you can go beyond what they teach in a class room, but universities are well aware that its nearly impossible to get work experience directly linked to psychology so don't worry if you can't find anything. You could always volunteer for a charity like childline? my friend does the switch board on a sunday and she really enjoys helping people plus it's relevant to psychology

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.