Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (I'm not really sure this is the right category for this thread but? Please correct me if I'm wrong)
    So I'm doing work experience at a primary school and the only dress code was smart casual (eg no jeans or shorts etc)
    It's the middle of exams and I don't really have time or money to go and buy clothes. Everywhere I've looked says "dress trousers" but I don't own any, is it worth finding a cheap pair?
    Although it says no jeans, would a denim skirt and a blouse do? That's all I can really think of without having to go and buy things - if anyone has ideas / any definition of what the code means (it's so bloody vague) it'd be much appreciated, thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well i presume your not a guy? because i would suggest wearing a normal top or shirt and then a Henley sweater over it, and cream or black chinos, the latter can be used for woman also but i would say the denim skirt and blouse would be okay, well it depends could you post a picture?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by funkyfarquaad)
    (I'm not really sure this is the right category for this thread but? Please correct me if I'm wrong)
    So I'm doing work experience at a primary school and the only dress code was smart casual (eg no jeans or shorts etc)
    It's the middle of exams and I don't really have time or money to go and buy clothes. Everywhere I've looked says "dress trousers" but I don't own any, is it worth finding a cheap pair?
    Although it says no jeans, would a denim skirt and a blouse do? That's all I can really think of without having to go and buy things - if anyone has ideas / any definition of what the code means (it's so bloody vague) it'd be much appreciated, thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it was a smart casual dress code for a school trip or something similar I'd say probably yes, as unless it's stated otherwise smart casual can include smart jeans with a smart top and cardigan/blazer. Considering that this is work experience, you're better to be over dressed and I'd personally avoid all denim. I'd read smart casual as business casual in this sort of situation, then dress down after the first couple of days if everyone else is dressed more casual.

Smart knee length skirts and dresses are fine when worn with dark tights but you might be a bit hot in this weather. Slightly cropped ankle length trousers are in style at the minute. I paid quite a bit for mine from TK Maxx a while ago, but you can pick up a pair for around £6 in Primark and they have loads of colours. You can get them pretty much everywhere at the minute, even supermarkets. Because they're somewhere between fitted and skinny they have a lot of elastic and are comfortable. I'd say it's definitely worth getting a pair of smart trousers as they're also suitable for interviews and other smart events, and will last ages since you're not wearing them often. I pair these with a shirt/blouse or even a smart chiffon top and a pair of pumps and usually a necklace and belt that matches my shoes. If it's cool, a cardigan or boat neck jumper will go nicely over your top. I've attached a couple of pictures of the sort of look you could go for.

Name:  18e9c04b9e5c6ec9a8d0f4270a3af1d5.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  84.5 KB
    Attachment 548249548251
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Wait, why do you have work experience during exams?

ReputationRep:
    My work experience starts next Monday and I'm doing it at a college. The dress code there is also smart casual but the smartest things I have are flannel shirts. Would I safe wearing a white one with black jeans? Then again, the only smart shoes I have are my school ones and I don't think they'd go :/ Kinda lost

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get hold of a pair of smart trousers just wear a black shirt (not too short) with a blouse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.