Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Went out for the first tume in like a year. Shoyld have been a good night with some reqllu great people but I've spent 4 houts with my face down the toilet and then had to get taken home. ****ing hate my life atm
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Went out for the first tume in like a year. Shoyld have been a good night with some reqllu great people but I've spent 4 houts with my face down the toilet and then had to get taken home. ****ing hate my life atm
    Unfortunately alcohol and antidepressants often don't mix well, they can worsen your symptoms and lower your tolerance to alcohol. Some antidepressants are less awful when mixed with alcohol, you could speak to your GP about changing them around if drinking is an important part of your social life and you want to do it regularly. Often antidepressants increase the effect of alcohol, so drinking more slowly can help you to gauge how drunk you're getting to avoid drinking too much.

My GP said that one drink for someone on antidepressants is more like three drinks for someone else. Be careful!!

ReputationRep:
    I drink loads and i'm on antidepressants.

ReputationRep:
    Drs say you mustn't drink whilst taking anti-depressants as it's dangerous and affects ones body more than those who are not medicated, although I think it's completely down to the individual. I drink and take drugs heavily whilst on a high dosage of anti-depressants. I'm not condoning this, but generally I can handle it well. However, there have been times when I have been completely out of control and done things/put myself in situations that were not safe. I have also had suicidal thoughts and ideation whilst intoxicated, which unfortunately has lead to attempts and self-harm a handful of times.

On the other hand, I also know people who cannot drink at all as they just vomit continually, and instead choose to smoke bud.

Therefore, I'd test the waters if I were you. Drink slowly and carefully, and over time you will be able to determine how much alcohol you can handle and how much is too much whilst you are taking your medication.

Sorry to hear you're hating life. Wish I could say I wasn't and that it is all okay. It is not, but in time it can be. Chin up, stay strong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on ADs and still a heavyweight
    Just don't do mandy though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallceyda5)
    Drs say you mustn't drink whilst taking anti-depressants as it's dangerous and affects ones body more than those who are not medicated, although I think it's completely down to the individual. I drink and take drugs heavily whilst on a high dosage of anti-depressants. I'm not condoning this, but generally I can handle it well. However, there have been times when I have been completely out of control and done things/put myself in situations that were not safe. I have also had suicidal thoughts and ideation whilst intoxicated, which unfortunately has lead to attempts and self-harm a handful of times.

On the other hand, I also know people who cannot drink at all as they just vomit continually, and instead choose to smoke bud.

Therefore, I'd test the waters if I were you. Drink slowly and carefully, and over time you will be able to determine how much alcohol you can handle and how much is too much whilst you are taking your medication.

Sorry to hear you're hating life. Wish I could say I wasn't and that it is all okay. It is not, but in time it can be. Chin up, stay strong.
    Thanks for this! I wish I'd asked before I drank :rofl: I'd actually done it before and it was alright except for lots of vomiting (I think I got drunk much easier than I normally would, I kept apologising to people and telling them I'd never gotten drunk just on cider before) but I started a new AD a few days before this time. I didn't drink much but I felt really, really terrible, mentally and physically. When I got home I threw my lamp across my room and then I ended up flushing the rest of my meds because I felt like I was very close to trying to OD Although to be honest I'd felt like the ADs had been making me feel worse even before drinking.

Definitely learned my lesson. Gonna stay away from medication and alcohol for a while

I hope it gets better for us both. PM me if you ever want to talk!

ReputationRep:
    I don't mix meds and alcohol. It's not worth it to feel out of control and in danger. It was like being roofied.

ReputationRep:
    You do have to be careful! I recently started on medication and drank at the weekend - ended up in A&E needing 15 stitches because of a crash in mood :/ hadn't done anything like that in months!! Just be wary of how it affects you differently

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Not a good idea to have mixed both. Alcohol potentiates the effects of certain anti-depressant medicines, so its best to abstain/drink in moderation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.