Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am finding my apprenticeship extremely difficult and want to quit. watch

ReputationRep:
    I started a chef apprenticeship almost three months ago after finding out I could no longer apply for my life long dream of joining the RAF. I only took the apprenticeship because being a chef held some interest for me, it was mainly because the workplace is just down the road, the pay was good and it was more hours than my part time job at tesco.

However, I am a few months in now, and almost at the end of my probation period, I have discovered I am not suited to the job, I feel like I am letting the team there down as I am not picking the role up as quickly as they want. I am often pulled out by the head chef who tells me that I need to prove myself, I am really trying to but seem to keep making mistakes. I am working extremely long hours and have no time with my family or friends, for example, I got in at 11pm last night after having to walk home from work.

I honestly think that this job is not for me, I dread going in each day and cry most nights when I get in.

I want to quit but at the same time feel like I will be thought of as a failure by my family as I have not completed the apprenticeship.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for me? I am going to continue to try my best at this job, but I am afraid that I'm going to really mess up soon.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenwolf01329)
    I started a chef apprenticeship almost three months ago after finding out I could no longer apply for my life long dream of joining the RAF. I only took the apprenticeship because being a chef held some interest for me, it was mainly because the workplace is just down the road, the pay was good and it was more hours than my part time job at tesco.

However, I am a few months in now, and almost at the end of my probation period, I have discovered I am not suited to the job, I feel like I am letting the team there down as I am not picking the role up as quickly as they want. I am often pulled out by the head chef who tells me that I need to prove myself, I am really trying to but seem to keep making mistakes. I am working extremely long hours and have no time with my family or friends, for example, I got in at 11pm last night after having to walk home from work.

I honestly think that this job is not for me, I dread going in each day and cry most nights when I get in.

I want to quit but at the same time feel like I will be thought of as a failure by my family as I have not completed the apprenticeship.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for me? I am going to continue to try my best at this job, but I am afraid that I'm going to really mess up soon.

Thanks for your help.
    It sounds that you have been trying your best in this job, but you are not enjoying it and the hours don't seem to suit you. The decision that you make, needs to be the one that is for you, not for anyone else and that includes family members. You won't be letting them down if you quit, you'll only be making yourself feel miserable. Try looking for a different job or apprenticeship in something else that you think you might enjoy. Or why not do a college course to give yourself a qualification and time to think about what you want to do with your life.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I have been considering the police but need a driving licence to join, so I think I am going to talk with my head chef about this, and see what he thinks, and consider, if I do leave, doing an intensive driving course so I can have my licence quickly, then look around for a job. Driving is holding me back right now as most of the jobs in my area are more than 5 miles away and the bus schedule is unreliable.

Thank you for replying so quickly, and with a very helpful message, I live in Bedfordshire but do not know any of the colleges in the area as I have not been enrolled yet for my course in September. Do you, or anyone else, recommend any colleges in south Bedfordshire?

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenwolf01329)

Thanks for your help.

Being not fast enough and feeling that you are not suited for it are two different things.
    I mean you may be a bit slow but that does not necessarily mean that it's not for you. We all have our moments of doubt.. If you genuinely think it's not for you and you don't want it then yeah you should stop. Otherwise, stick to it and fight your way! Messing up is also part of the process but what do you make of it changes everything.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.