Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I came from Italy I have only my A- level results and in my country there isn't GSCE Watch

ReputationRep:
    Help me!!!!! I came from Italy and I have taken my A LEVELS recently. When I was doing some research about GCSE in my country, I didn't find anything. I am planning to apply for MBBS but I don't know if they will accept me without a GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    they should just put in the Italian qualifications you have.

ReputationRep:
    If you make it clear in your PS that you haven't taken GCSEs because of your schooling, it will be okay. Most EU applicants don't have anything equiv. to GCSE and UK Unis know this. However - Medicine is highly competitive and with only A levels you may miss out on vital scoring points when they assess your qualifications. This could be the difference between getting an interview or not.

Taking GCSE English and Maths (assuming you aren't taking either subject A level) will definitely help your application. You will need to show you have advanced English skills. GCSE English carries more weight that IELTS, GCSE Maths will also be worth doing both in terms of your application/interview and to give you the skills need as a med student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    If you make it clear in your PS that you haven't taken GCSEs because of your schooling, it will be okay. Most EU applicants don't have anything equiv. to GCSE and UK Unis know this. However - Medicine is highly competitive and with only A levels you may miss out on vital scoring points when they assess your qualifications. This could be the difference between getting an interview or not.

Taking GCSE English and Maths (assuming you aren't taking either subject A level) will definitely help your application. You will need to show you have advanced English skills. GCSE English carries more weight that IELTS, GCSE Maths will also be worth doing both in terms of your application/interview and to give you the skills need as a med student.
    Thank you so much. Some teachers said that IELTS could be considered as a English GCSE results but I think I need a result in GCSE maths. Do you know when and how I can take my GCSE exam if I have been planning to send my application for medicine this October?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ammu.kutty)
    Thank you so much. Some teachers said that IELTS could be considered as a English GCSE results but I think I need a result in GCSE maths. Do you know when and how I can take my GCSE exam if I have been planning to send my application for medicine this October?
    You need to find a college (or the school where you took A levels) who will allow you to do GCSEs next year, and you can add this to your UCAS application as 'qualifications being taken'. Any Uni offer would be made conditional on you getting those GCSE subjects at specific grades.

PS. Lots of useful TSR info here for anyone thinking of applying for Medicine : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ammu.kutty)
    IELTS is something completely different to GCSE and it won't be considered as such.

You would have needed to register for IGCSEs a couple of months ago as the exams would be in May/June. (You would need to do IGCSEs as GCSEs have a coursework component, they're considered to be the same though from the university's point of view.) I would consult with medical schools before considering taking IGCSEs though, most applicants from outside the UK won't have an equivalent qualification, if you take 2 they may wonder why you didn't do more, or they could see it as you taking your GCSEs over an extended period of time in which case you could be rejected for that alone.

ReputationRep:
    You need to find a college (or the school where you took A levels) who will allow you to do GCSEs next year, and you can add this to your UCAS application as 'qualifications being taken'. Any Uni offer would be made conditional on you getting those GCSE subjects at specific grades.

PS. Lots of useful TSR info here for anyone thinking of applying for Medicine : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
    As the medical school interview selection process is based upon GCSE results this would be pretty much useless for OP, if anything it would make it more difficult for him to get in as his offer would have additional conditions.

ReputationRep:

Thank you so much for your help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.