Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 and I have just sat the new alevel specification. My alevels are maths biology physics and chemistry. I think I have failed physics and the other three went okay but I am almost certain I didn't get any A's. If I continue them next year the As won't count and a plan to take my subjects seriously next year.

I'm thinking of retaking physics at just as not alevel so I can improve the grade but I'm not sure if that's a good idea is I have three alevels on top of that.

My GCSE grades are
    Maths A
    English A
    Chemistry A
    English lit A
    Physics A
    Biology A
    Geography B
    Law B
    French D
    Business E

I struggled a lot with French and as for business we only had a year to learn it and I couldn't cope because I really wanted to do well in my science subjects I was really sad in results day because I didnt get any A*

I really want to do medicine and I have done a lot of work experience and I'm also doing duke of Edinburgh but I don't think my GCSE grades are good enough so I really want to retake either business or French in year 13 but I'm not sure if I can or should.

I'm thinking of taking a gap year of my grades are good next year but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades are good enough.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BlackAvocado)
    I am currently in year 12 and I have just sat the new alevel specification. My alevels are maths biology physics and chemistry. I think I have failed physics and the other three went okay but I am almost certain I didn't get any A's. If I continue them next year the As won't count and a plan to take my subjects seriously next year.

I'm thinking of retaking physics at just as not alevel so I can improve the grade but I'm not sure if that's a good idea is I have three alevels on top of that.

My GCSE grades are
    Maths A
    English A
    Chemistry A
    English lit A
    Physics A
    Biology A
    Geography B
    Law B
    French D
    Business E

I struggled a lot with French and as for business we only had a year to learn it and I couldn't cope because I really wanted to do well in my science subjects I was really sad in results day because I didnt get any A*

I really want to do medicine and I have done a lot of work experience and I'm also doing duke of Edinburgh but I don't think my GCSE grades are good enough so I really want to retake either business or French in year 13 but I'm not sure if I can or should.

I'm thinking of taking a gap year of my grades are good next year but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades are good enough.
    Your GCSE grades arent strong for medicine as most applicants have in excess of 6A/A* grades, so you are just on the boundary. what will hold you back a lot is any medical school which scores GCSE grades, as french and business will pull your score down massively (as will law and geography), so avoid medical schools such as Cardiff, Birmingham, QUB, Nottingham, Leicester, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Lancaster and HullYork.

doing poorly at AS will really hold you back, as realistically can you be predicted AAA at A2 with less than BBB at AS? so the best thing to do if your AS grades are not what you wanted is to either if you have a high UKCAT score apply to medical schools such as newcastle. I would personally if you had less than you wanted at AS then take a gap year and apply with acheived A2 grades where you will have a much better chances if you have AAA.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.