The Student Room Group

Shooting in gay club in Florida

A man in the Pulse nightclub in orlando florida, has opened fire on more than 20 people, and is still inside the club with hostages, and is feared to be wearing a bomb.

UPDATE: 50 people are dead and a further 53 are injured. A state of emergency has been declared in orlando.

It has been described as the worst mass shooting america has ever seen.

“How can you not say that this was an attack on the LGBT community when it’s done in an LGBT club and a shooter walks in and there are 20 of your community members lying in a club and another 40 lying on hospital gurneys.” - Terry DeCarlo from the GLBT Community Center of Orlando.

UPDATE 2: For those arguing if we should blame muslims (obviously not this is one man anyway) nothing associated with religion has been connected with the event. The father of the shooter said that:

"We are saying we are apologising for the whole incident. We weren't aware of any action he is taking. We are in shock like the whole country. This had nothing to do with religion." and that his son "got very angry when he saw two men kissing."

Do NOT blame religion or muslims or anything other than raw homophobia for this. It is a hate crime.

UPDATE 3: a man was arrested on the way to LA pride parade with guns and ammunition.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Horrific.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/12/orlando-shooting-nightclub-pulse-gunman

Very limited and conflicting details from what I've read so far.
Reply 2
The shooter is dead now. There was a controlled explosion by police. The shooter was repoted to be wearing a bomb.
Police are now reporting at least 20 dead and that it was as "domestic terror incident".
(edited 7 years ago)
i suppose one benefit of hillary being president is her stance on gun control
Reply 5
Was the terrorist anti gay or just lost it?
Reply 6
Original post by M14B
Was the terrorist anti gay or just lost it?

I guess the police will have to talk to his close relatives to find out if he has anti-LGBT sentiments...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by epage
A man in the Pulse nightclub in orlando florida, has opened fire on more than 20 people, and is still inside the club with hostages, and is feared to be wearing a bomb.

Florida, again? Is there any reason why this state seems to over represented in shootings or is it just that other states get reported less?

My heart goes out to all the victims and the families of the victims, this is an awful tragedy. :rip:
Reply 8
20 F*CKING PEOPLE.

TWENTY

And 42 injured.

Like I have no words.
horrible.... it is easy to get hold of automatic weapons in the USA... this is what happens. RIP the victims.
How nice for gay people - now targets in their own countries. :angry:
Reply 11
Original post by the bear
horrible.... it is easy to get hold of automatic weapons in the USA... this is what happens. RIP the victims.

So wait it's the gun that's the problem and not the insane radical muslim?

Are you okay?
Original post by Listers

Are you okay?

There is a gun problem and a radical muslim problem

But going around inciting hate against islam/muslims is not the solution, its making things worse
Original post by Listers

Are you okay?

i am not sure how you know about this nutter's religion ?
Reply 14
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
There is a gun problem and a radical muslim problem

But going around inciting hate against islam/muslims is not the solution, its making things worse

The only people inciting hatred here are the radical muslims killing people they disagree with. Get your head out of the clouds and address them and not me for pointing out what they are doing
Original post by Listers
The only people inciting hatred here are the radical muslims killing people they disagree with. Get your head out of the clouds and address them and not me for pointing out what they are doing

Lol as if you're the first person to point out the issue. The point is, you going around spamming 'religion of peace' is not helping in any way whatsoever. If Muslims feel discriminated against, they may isolate themselves from western culture and then become radicalised.

If you really care so passionately about the issue, go and join an anti-gun lobby or raise awareness of domestic radicalisation instead of going around trolling a student forum.
Original post by Mathemagicien
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/12/florida-gay-nightclub-shooting-injuries-reported-at-pulse-orland/

BREAKING: FBI is saying that there is a close connection between Islamic Terrorism and the#Orlando #Pulse shooting. pic.twitter.com/f3J3J0Axku
REGATED (@regated) June 12, 2016

thank you for your informative and polite post.
Reply 17
Original post by the bear
thank you for your informative and polite post.

I sent you the exact same link?

Butthurt much?
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
Lol as if you're the first person to point out the issue. The point is, you going around spamming 'religion of peace' is not helping in any way whatsoever. If Muslims feel discriminated against, they may isolate themselves from western culture and then become radicalised.

Gay people have been discriminated against and persecuted in the West for generations. Did they become radicalised? It's a problem in and of itself if discrimination turns a particular group of people to radicalisation first rather than other things.
Not surprising that its an islamist extremist. First thing I thought when the news broke. Innocent civilians dont deserve to be targeted like that.

Its funny how this will straight away bring up about America's gun laws when there is no doubt a high possibility these weapons were not purchased legally. Guns being legal/illegal has no bearing on any terrorist attacks, the illegality of firearms hasn't stopped the attacks which happened over Europe.

RIP to those killed and to the ones injured, hopefully you will all make it through this.

Quick Reply

Latest