Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there a easy way to remember the ion tests and flame tests in Unit 3 for the 2016 paper on Wednesday. I have a terrible memory if there's no learning involved.
    I don't want to waste my time on something that may not appear in the exam, but it also may be worth up to 6 marks if AQA put it in.
    Thanks for any help!

(Original post by TomNaughton)
    Is there a easy way to remember the ion tests and flame tests in Unit 3 for the 2016 paper on Wednesday. I have a terrible memory if there's no learning involved.
    I don't want to waste my time on something that may not appear in the exam, but it also may be worth up to 6 marks if AQA put it in.
    Thanks for any help!
    The way I remember the flame tests is by Lired Nayellow Klilac Cabrick Bagreen.
    • Li for Lithium which which turns red.
    • Na for Sodium which turns yellow.
    • K for Potassium which turns lilac.
    • Ca for Calcium which turns brick (red)
    • Ba for Barium which turns green.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for any help!
    Maybe through sheer force of will? So like just learn it as it is?
    (That's what i did, and of course it's the best way to remember things but there's always alternatives)
    You can always remember the ****ed up one which doesn't fit and that's Barium which is green and Potassium which is lilac. Hmm maybe Sodium when you burn it it goes yellow(think of a bunsen burner)? Calcium maybe think of *****ing bricks?(brick red) Then there's lithium which is bloody difficult to remember....(blood colour i.e red)

Da it's so easy to waste time doin this sorta stuff oh well

(Original post by Big white)
    Maybe through sheer force of will? So like just learn it as it is?
    (That's what i did, and of course it's the best way to remember things but there's always alternatives)
    You can always remember the ****ed up one which doesn't fit and that's Barium which is green and Potassium which is lilac. Hmm maybe Sodium when you burn it it goes yellow(think of a bunsen burner)? Calcium maybe think of *****ing bricks?(brick red) Then there's lithium which is bloody difficult to remember....(blood colour i.e red)

Da it's so easy to waste time doin this sorta stuff oh well
    :lol:
    I don't know why people find it so difficult to remember them but I guess it's just memory work. This is the easiest things they could ask imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    :lol:
    I don't know why people find it so difficult to remember them but I guess it's just memory work. This is the easiest things they could ask imo.
    Yup, usually people want another way out or sometimes like me i just pose the question to see what people say and if it's better than what i have already or not

ReputationRep:
    The way people in my chemistry class remember it is similar - Lik Nay Kl Car Bag

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatefrog354)
    The way people in my chemistry class remember it is similar - Lik Nay Kl Car Bag
    Thanks! Yours seems the best, I'm just not good at remembering stuff which have no meaning.

ReputationRep:
    I remember them: baNAna = yellow = sodium, lilaK = lilac = potassium, then I remember the others in a way that is relevant to my spec because I'm on Edexcel so it probably wouldn't make sense explaining to someone doing AQA

Thanks for any help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.