Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm finishing my exams next week with my last one being physics on Friday and I have no idea what I want to do during the 10 weeks off. I want to watch a show like Game of Thrones as I've heard it's a great show but I don't want to watch tv all summer. I might get a job at the nearby library or shop though. Also, I might buy 4 new revision guides for A Levels and start revising as apparently they're a lot harder than GCSEs.
    Any suggestions on what I could do during the long break? (I've already got a plan that I'll take my dog for a walk every few days)

ReputationRep:
    Download all the past papers of Alevels

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I have a few days planned for things like 3 appointments, a summer camp with scouts (1 week), a 3 day camp with scouts, some induction days at school and a few parties. (end of school party, family summer party, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clian10)
    find a job and do as much work experience and volunteering as you can over the summer, just anything that will be useful for the course you want to apply for at uni. If you do it this summer and get it done asap, you will save lots of time next year. Also look at the specification of all your A-Level subjects and do re-read some of your notes from GCSE as what you've learnt will become useful for A-Level. You can start revising to familiarise yourself with your A-Level subjects, but don't revise too heavily on it. What a-levels have you chosen?
    1 - Business
    2 - Media Studies
    3 - Applied Science
    4 - Statistics
    I'm staying on at my school to do these and I originally chose computer science, maths, physics and ICT/Media but I hadn't done any computer based GCSEs and I'm only predicted a B in maths and physics (plus BTEC ICT was cancelled) so I was chosen these.

ReputationRep:
    I found this guy called 'Jonathan Harris' on YouTube.

He's amazing - not sure if you heard of him! He does 3D and Optical illusion drawings. I might practise my horrible art skills and try to improve them. Try the same, whether you love art or not.

ReputationRep:
    Do some volunteer work. Even if its just a charity shop its good experience and will look positive on your CV or UCAS application.

Read books. Set yourself a task - read all the novels written by one author, find out more about x subject, look at some local history.

Go places. What local tourist things havn't you done? What local walks could you do?Historical sites, zoos, beaches/woods, tourist walks etc etc. Where could you visit and what is out there? Where can you co on a local bus or train? Go to your local Tourist info and pick up some leaflets.

Theatre, music and cinema. See as much as you can. There are lots of cheap ticket deals for teenagers, and 'on the day' tickets. Improve your cultural experience and general knowledge. Many museums and civic art galleries are free - you can visit them as often as you like.

Sport/health. Set yourself a fitness ambition. Could be something simple like swimming every day or going for an hour long walk every day. Or you could aim at getting fit to run a half-marathon or fun-run in the autumn.

Write some ideas on a big piece of paper and stick it on the wall. Add ideas to it, and start doing some of them and ticking them off. You'll feel far happier/more confident/worthwhile than just watching TV all summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Do some volunteer work. Even if its just a charity shop its good experience and will look positive on your CV or UCAS application.

Read books. Set yourself a task - read all the novels written by one author, find out more about x subject, look at some local history.

Go places. What local tourist things havn't you done? What local walks could you do?Historical sites, zoos, beaches/woods, tourist walks etc etc. Where could you visit and what is out there? Where can you co on a local bus or train? Go to your local Tourist info and pick up some leaflets.

Theatre, music and cinema. See as much as you can. There are lots of cheap ticket deals for teenagers, and 'on the day' tickets. Improve your cultural experience and general knowledge. Many museums and civic art galleries are free - you can visit them as often as you like.

Sport/health. Set yourself a fitness ambition. Could be something simple like swimming every day or going for an hour long walk every day. Or you could aim at getting fit to run a half-marathon or fun-run in the autumn.

Write some ideas on a big piece of paper and stick it on the wall. Add ideas to it, and start doing some of them and ticking them off. You'll feel far happier/more confident/worthwhile than just watching TV all summer.
    Sounds good! Thanks! One of my hobbies is reading and the village library has loads of great books which I can rent out for 3 weeks at a time.
    I might plan a cinema trip with a friend or group sometime this summer as well.
    The local public bus costs about £2.90 to travel from home to school so I might be stuck in my own area for some time in the summer.
    I'm planning to do a bit of volunteering work for DofE with my scouts group (currently an explorer and joined last september)

ReputationRep:
    If you live in the UK, get a cineworld month pass for £17-£19.

You won't be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussia4)
    Oh god it's you. Guys ignore him and he'll go away.
    I could have sworn I put you on my ignore list.
    Stop creating accounts to try and get to me. Back on the Ignore list you go
    Good day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)
    I could have sworn I put you on my ignore list.
    haha thanks for the great idea man! How much are they? And im only 16??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1jonam16)
    haha thanks for the great idea man! How much are they? And im only 16??
    I'll double check now for you.

It's £16.90 a month, however it states it can be a subscription, however if you don't want to be going for more than 2 months or something, you can just cancel it.
    More Information can be found here.

(Original post by Prussia4)
    Oh god it's you. Guys ignore him and he'll go away.
    Oh god it's you. Guys ignore this idiot and they'll go away. have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    I'll double check now for you.

It's £16.90 a month, however it states it can be a subscription, however if you don't want to be going for more than 2 months or something, you can just cancel it.
    More Information can be found here.
    Thank you! That seems so cheapl can I go as many times as I want??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1jonam16)
    Thank you! That seems so cheapl can I go as many times as I want??
    Yes you can
    That's what I plan to do anyway

They'll see me leave a movie room and go into another one; every day. I plan to watch 3+ Movies in a day and if I fall asleep in any, I'll watch it again

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can
    That's what I plan to do anyway

They'll see me leave a movie room and go into another one; every day. I plan to watch 3+ Movies in a day and if I fall asleep in any, I'll watch it again
    haha nice

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm going parachuting for a week with cadets! I've also planned to go and watch Suicide Squad with a small group of friends when it comes out but other than that, I have nothing else planned. I'm also watching Game of Thrones because it seems like I'm the only one who hasn't watched a single episode, even my teachers watch it!

I suggest doing something new. Learn a new language, start running, learn a new instrument, do some volunteering to build your CV or even better, get a paid job. There are countless things on the internet, you just need to find your own. But honestly, take this time to relax because you'll need it for the next year.

ReputationRep:
    just relax and do what you want because next year summer wont be fun with A levels!!! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    Well I'm going parachuting for a week with cadets! I've also planned to go and watch Suicide Squad with a small group of friends when it comes out but other than that, I have nothing else planned. I'm also watching Game of Thrones because it seems like I'm the only one who hasn't watched a single episode, even my teachers watch it!

I suggest doing something new. Learn a new language, start running, learn a new instrument, do some volunteering to build your CV or even better, get a paid job. There are countless things on the internet, you just need to find your own. But honestly, take this time to relax because you'll need it for the next year.
    I might go and see X-Men Apocalypse or Suicide Squad, depending on which movie both me and my friends choose. I've seen the first season last year of Game of Thrones as I was really ill (off for a month in the summer) and it's great! Last night I thought about what I might do which I've never done before and I came up with these: creating a meal plan for the summer, continuing to learn spanish or another language after my spanish GCSE and/or starting my DofE course.

ReputationRep:
    If you live in the UK, get a cineworld month pass for £17-£19.

You won't be disappointed.
    I live in the countryside so there aren't many places I know nearby with Cineworld. I probably couldn't go often anyways as most of my friends would be busy or not want to see every movie with me. But thanks for the suggestion anyways!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanF2000)
    I might go and see X-Men Apocalypse or Suicide Squad, depending on which movie both me and my friends choose. I've seen the first season last year of Game of Thrones as I was really ill (off for a month in the summer) and it's great! Last night I thought about what I might do which I've never done before and I came up with these: creating a meal plan for the summer, continuing to learn spanish or another language after my spanish GCSE and/or starting my DofE course.
    Oh god yeah, I also have DoE expedition and sections to start. Sounds like a great plan for the summer! I'd like to learn mandarin Chinese but I feel I'll need a proper teacher for that.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.