How have your music tastes changed?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I was thinking about how my music tastes have changed since I was a kid, and it's actually quite surprising in my opinion!

When I was young, between the ages of about 8 and 10 (when I first became interested in music), I listened to a lot of pop music - Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Lily Allen, Rihanna, Girls Aloud and so on.

Then when I was 12, my dad introduced me to heavy metal, specifically a band called Black Sabbath. I discovered that I really enjoyed listening to them, much more than the pop artists I listened to previously, and I decided to explore metal and rock further.

When I was 13, Papa Roach became my favourite band, and remained that way for 4 years. I also started listening to bands such as Bullet for my Valentine, Muse, Dope, Airbourne, Shinedown, KoRn and Trivium.

After that, I started becoming interested in the more extreme genres of metal, particularly melodic death metal, and I got into bands like Children of Bodom (who are still one of my favourites) and In Flames.

Now, my tastes have changed again, and I am currently really enjoying folk metal and viking metal! Alestorm and Ensiferum are my top 2 favourite bands, and I also like listening to Suotana and Nightcreepers. Even though I still enjoy rock music, I definitely prefer metal!

So I'd be interested to know, how have your music tastes changed since you were young? Have you completely switched genres, or have your tastes remained the same?

ReputationRep:
    Went from listening to chart music and pop, to alternative rock and britpop - I can confidently say it's a positive change.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Some honorable mentions:

Arctic Monkeys
    Oasis
    Gorillaz

ReputationRep:
    Mine change on a daily basis!

My dad is into things like: Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Black sabbath... so on
    My mum is into: 70's, 80's pop/chart music

I had a varied childhood of everything! Now I am more into Coldplay, Foals, Imagine Dragons, Red Hot Chili Peppers. I do like the occasional heavy metal and 80's throwback!

ReputationRep:
    Up until not that long ago, I only ever listened to stuff my parents had. So U2 was the biggest, and other stuff like Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Who... plenty of old stuff which I still enjoy listening to.

Probably about 2-3 years ago, I found myself branching out into stuff like Muse, and other small rock bands like Anavae (who remain my favourite artist).

Then, I found myself trying out spotify - a rock playlist took me to Disturbed and I've been enjoying metal and hard rock stuff ever since. Favourite bands throughout this time would have to be Fightstar, Buried in Verona, Enter Shikari and Flyleaf.

However, just the other day z33 introduced me to Sleeping At Last - and it's made me really reconsider what I like about music. This could be the start of a new era :moon:

Well I grew up listening to cringe worthy music like Steps and S Club 7 and I got into Lady Gaga as well as rock music and I really enjoyed bands like Muse and NERO which are of different music categories. Indie music has always been my staple however and never left my music tastes at all. Then I started to listen to pop music again but over the last few years, I'm enjoying my 90s music and pop/rock and indie music.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be really heavily into hiphop and grime, mostly from an older cousin who was really into it.
    Then I got into metalcore from the new friends I made during year 10 and my music taste from there just got heavier. Now I listen mostly to death and black metal :yep:
    Although i do still listen to rap and some metalcore too

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I used to listen to Thy Art Is Murder when I was 14 because I was going through a phase. Now I listen to Beyonce and Zara Larsson.

ReputationRep:
    Child I was happy with anything > mid teens punk rock, heavy metal, post hardcore and screamo > currently more only up to punk rock and some heavy rock (e.g. Sempiternal album by BMTH but I don't like their other albums), also some other strange variants of rock (e.g. Celldweller's stuff) and some video game music.

(Original post by Mayhem™)
    Went from listening to chart music and pop, to alternative rock and britpop - I can confidently say it's a positive change.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Some honorable mentions:

Arctic Monkeys
    Oasis
    Gorillaz
    Good choices (haven't listened to Oasis but I have listened to the other two).

ReputationRep:
    Well I grew up with the mainstream naughties stuff, then I developed a liking to some of the classics (queen and stuff), and then I found rap. Since then I've just expanded and like a bit of everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say that it didn't particularly changed for me, the old bands and the new ones have the same genre, I eventually got bored and started listening to something new. But about a month ago, I went back to that forgotten youtube part (childhood songs) and I was actually surprised because of that nostalgic feel. The thing is that I still prefer to have them on the Internet rather than on my smartphone. Genres, more or less; Alt Rock, Pop rock, Classical & ambient

Also, one band I've been listening to recently have no specified genre, it's like melancholic melodies, but in the same time alluring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After listening to Kanye and co. for the Lord knows how many years, I discovered riddim... but then I discovered Garrix and SWH and was like "I found Valhalla" but wait, I then found

And my life changed forever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    However, just the other day z33 introduced me to Sleeping At Last - and it's made me really reconsider what I like about music. This could be the start of a new era :moon:
    Awwhhh I'm honoured to be involved in the evolution of music taste

ReputationRep:
    I'm still happy enough to listen to what I listened to between the ages of 13 and 18. I also listen to a lot of Jazz. Wasn't that keen on it as a teenager.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been a massive pop/chart hits lover but when I was younger I used to listen to quite a bit of Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Busted etc. Now I listen to literally anything from classical to jazz and emo punk/indie rock to metal-love it all! I guess being a musician myself has really helped broaden my horizons and become more accepting of different genres

ReputationRep:
    Idek
    Cause i like a wide variety of music
    Even when i was younger
    But me liking the 70s music and Kpop are fairly recent

ReputationRep:
    Year 7-9 chart music
    Year 10-11 electro rock/dubstep kinda ish (celldweller) and a bit of metal-ish stuff
    Year 12 heavy dubstep/orchestral dubstep/"epic" dubstep/rap occasionally
    Year "13" Trap/EDM in general, ambient, glitch, rap occasionally

from then till now, experimental trap, glitchy ish, ambient/film soundtracks, witch house, future bass, and very occasionally rap, I do find myself going back to my old tastes now and then as well

ReputationRep:
    1. abba, and classical and coldplay and owl city
    2. pop music
    3. coldplay and bands like keane, owl city, alt-j, imagine dragons, mgmt
    4. fall out boy, MCR, muse, all time low etc, that punk rock emo **** and twenty one pilots, arctic monkeys
    5. neutral milk hotel, the decemberists, pink floyd, simon and Garfunkel
    6. twenty one pilots, alt-j, mgmt, twenty one pilots ghost b.c for a bit
    7. the libertines, the black keys, the red hot chilli peppers,
    8. two door cinema club, the mowglis, saint motel, cold war kids, cage the elephant which is where i am now!!

shoutout to spotify for all their recommendations and related artists and personal discover weekly playlist because i have found more music in the last year alone than i found for my entire life before that lmao

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger (primary school age) I used to listen to a lot of cheesy pop and disco music from the late 80's/early 90's. When I got to my teens (secondary school) I got into a lot of Hip-Hop, R&B and mainstream pop. In the last 2-3 years I've got into House/EDM and Dubstep. I've also listened to Hindi and Punjabi music all my life - so now I incorporate all these different genres into my love of music. Proud to say I'm a big fan of music in 3 languages.

ReputationRep:
    Leviathan1741 tickets for the final Sabbath show (in Birmingham :cool:) go on sale this Friday I think. You buying? Will sell out in about 0.03 seconds imo.

I've gone off Hip-Hop these days. There are a couple of artists I check for but most of it bores me to tears now. Not that it's crap, I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Leviathan1741 tickets for the final Sabbath show (in Birmingham :cool:) go on sale this Friday I think. You buying? Will sell out in about 0.03 seconds imo.

I've gone off Hip-Hop these days. There are a couple of artists I check for but most of it bores me to tears now. Not that it's crap, I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to.
    Yes I will be (assuming they don't all sell out in 0.03 seconds like you predict haha!)

I can't decide whether to get 2 tickets or 3 though! Will you be buying any?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.