Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I live with one parent and it is just the two of us. Last week, there was a false allegation made about them to the police (which is ongoing as far as I'm aware) and I was the only person to know. This has put a lot of pressure on me during exam period. I've been unable to revise, focus or sleep properly and have had to be ready to leave my home etc. However, this has caused extreme health issues for my parent and they have now had to be sectioned. Is it worth letting my universities know that this situation is happening or should I just leave it?

TLDR; police investigation, parent sectioned, one big mess. Worth telling unis?

ReputationRep:
    yes
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by s02)
    I live with one parent and it is just the two of us. Last week, there was a false allegation made about them to the police (which is ongoing as far as I'm aware) and I was the only person to know. This has put a lot of pressure on me during exam period. I've been unable to revise, focus or sleep properly and have had to be ready to leave my home etc. However, this has caused extreme health issues for my parent and they have had to now be sectioned. Is it worth letting my universities know that this situation is happening or should I just leave it?

If you feel it has affected your exam performance then you cna male a special consideration claim to the exam board on that basis. Talk to your exam officer.
    Looking at the rules there is provision for:

2% -extreme distress on the day of an examination;(not simply exam related stress)
    3% -recent domestic crisis;
    4% -serious domestic crisis at time of examinations.

Definitely worth a go imo, then see what you get.

Not sure what the protocol is for admissions, perhaps ring and make a general enquiry to an admissions officer for guidance. Its worth mentioning, but its only going to be useful when is relevant and it wont save you from a grade disaster.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't tell them directly like 'oh btw..'

Speak to your school/college about your options? Might be something they can do or it could be something for the exam boards to decide.

I'm sorry for your difficulties. I hope everything gets better for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amingo26)
    I wouldn't tell them directly like 'oh btw..'

Speak to your school/college about your options? Might be something they can do or it could be something for the exam boards to decide.

I'm sorry for your difficulties. I hope everything gets better for you
    I was going to tell my school on Monday and let them discuss it with the university. I'm not too bothered about the exam board, I don't think there's much they can do.

And thank you! I hope so too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s02)
    I live with one parent and it is just the two of us. Last week, there was a false allegation made about them to the police (which is ongoing as far as I'm aware) and I was the only person to know. This has put a lot of pressure on me during exam period. I've been unable to revise, focus or sleep properly and have had to be ready to leave my home etc. However, this has caused extreme health issues for my parent and they have now had to be sectioned. Is it worth letting my universities know that this situation is happening or should I just leave it?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4107245
    This is for the school to communicate to the universities, so you need to inform the exams officer and your head of year. It won't count for a lot of marks, but every little helps, and it may make your firm more lenient if they know why you missed your offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s02)

Yes and your school they will be able to ask for special consideration on your exams for stress hope things get better for you soon.

once your at uni the uni welfare and pastoral care are second to none if you need it while you there use it. they will do all they can to help with housing to jobs and everything else good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, fill in the relevant forms as it may allow them to boost your marks if you do poorer than expected. These things are a safety net, use them.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yes I posted you the answer on your previous thread about it. Netween 2-4% depending how serious they take it. That could be a grade difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s02)

Tell your college or school first about what is going on. They can do the application for you for extenuating circumstances. Ask your school/college about whether to tell the unis or not; they know the best way to deal with situations like this.
    I'm so sorry this has happened to you and I hope things get better soon.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    I was wondering if I could have some advice. So I did my AS the first year however because I was ill I didn't perform well in my exams and I did let the exam board now with a dr letter but I'm not sure that it changed my grades much or if it did it didn't help. So I resat my As year again and now I'm doing my A2 exams. I have applied to study Maths at King College London and Queen Mary (Firm and Insurance) and I'm doing maths further maths and history. However I have been having issues at home my dad had an ongoing court case and he was recently sentenced to prison in May and I feel stressed about it and I can't concentrate because I just feel upset and worried about him given our close relationship. I'm predicted 3As however I just can't focus when I revise and I feel this situation has impacted me. His sentencing was on the day of my two further maths exam and I was so upset I couldn't focus ajd I know that I probably got an E/U and not from a lack of revising. And I know this will now push my grades completely down. What shall I do? How do I go on about telling the exam board and university hoping they can understand my situation. I don't really want to tell my school because it's embarassing 'oh my dad is in prison' and I don't want my mum to know I told the school because I'm trying to put on a good face for her so she won't get more upset but there was a local news article on him if I had to prove it. Can I personally email the exam board or what should I do. My last exam is on the 30th June is it too late to do anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nishakaur1996)
    Hi All,
    I was wondering if I could have some advice. So I did my AS the first year however because I was ill I didn't perform well in my exams and I did let the exam board now with a dr letter but I'm not sure that it changed my grades much or if it did it didn't help. So I resat my As year again and now I'm doing my A2 exams. I have applied to study Maths at King College London and Queen Mary (Firm and Insurance) and I'm doing maths further maths and history. However I have been having issues at home my dad had an ongoing court case and he was recently sentenced to prison in May and I feel stressed about it and I can't concentrate because I just feel upset and worried about him given our close relationship. I'm predicted 3As however I just can't focus when I revise and I feel this situation has impacted me. His sentencing was on the day of my two further maths exam and I was so upset I couldn't focus ajd I know that I probably got an E/U and not from a lack of revising. And I know this will now push my grades completely down. What shall I do? How do I go on about telling the exam board and university hoping they can understand my situation. I don't really want to tell my school because it's embarassing 'oh my dad is in prison' and I don't want my mum to know I told the school because I'm trying to put on a good face for her so she won't get more upset but there was a local news article on him if I had to prove it. Can I personally email the exam board or what should I do. My last exam is on the 30th June is it too late to do anything!
    You should follow your schools policy ASAP. If you wait until after your exams, it may be too late. They will have a policy for extenuating circumstances and I suggest you find it. However typically it will only boost your grade by 2-4% or something, so it isn't going to change you from a U to an A.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.