The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University - Student Loan Funding

Hi guys,
Just need some answers if I can..
i want to do a degree with the OU as I don't really have time to go to a traditional uni, plus I want to work full time.

I know you can get a part-time student loan for the OU, but do you get maintenance loans too?
Also, is funding provided by the OU better than using student loans? I'm so confused about my options lol.

Finally, is the course structured as Year 1, Year 2, Year 3? Or do you just do it all when you can??

Thanks for getting back to me!
All OU degrees are classified as part-time, so you can't get a maintenance loan at the moment. However, the government announced in the 2015 Spending Review that part-time students would be eligible to claim a maintenance loan in the future. Whether or not the government actually does it is another matter... if they do, it certainly won't be before 2017.

The OU doesn't fund you; you take out student loans from the student loans company like everyone else.

An OU degree is made up of 120 credits at level 1 (equivalent to first year of a degree), 120 credits at level 2 and 120 credits at level 3. You can do 120 credits a year and finish a degree in three years, but this would be very difficult if you're working alongside your studies. Most people take between 4 and 6 years to do their degree.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Snufkin
All OU degrees are classified as part-time, so you can't get a maintenance loan at the moment. However, the government announced in the 2015 Spending Review that part-time students would be eligible to claim a maintenance loan in the future. Whether or not the government actually does it is another matter... if they do, it certainly won't be before 2017.

The OU doesn't fund you; you take out student loans from the student loans company like everyone else.

An OU degree is made up of 120 credits at level 1 (equivalent to first year of a degree), 120 credits at level 2 and 120 credits at level 3. You can do 120 credits a year and finish a degree in three years, but this would be very difficult if you're working alongside your studies. Most people take between 4 and 6 years to do their degree.

Thank you!! It's so helpful to have it explained better :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending