Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Just need some answers if I can..
    i want to do a degree with the OU as I don't really have time to go to a traditional uni, plus I want to work full time.

I know you can get a part-time student loan for the OU, but do you get maintenance loans too?
    Also, is funding provided by the OU better than using student loans? I'm so confused about my options lol.

Finally, is the course structured as Year 1, Year 2, Year 3? Or do you just do it all when you can??

Thanks for getting back to me!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    All OU degrees are classified as part-time, so you can't get a maintenance loan at the moment. However, the government announced in the 2015 Spending Review that part-time students would be eligible to claim a maintenance loan in the future. Whether or not the government actually does it is another matter... if they do, it certainly won't be before 2017.

The OU doesn't fund you; you take out student loans from the student loans company like everyone else.

An OU degree is made up of 120 credits at level 1 (equivalent to first year of a degree), 120 credits at level 2 and 120 credits at level 3. You can do 120 credits a year and finish a degree in three years, but this would be very difficult if you're working alongside your studies. Most people take between 4 and 6 years to do their degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    All OU degrees are classified as part-time, so you can't get a maintenance loan at the moment. However, the government announced in the 2015 Spending Review that part-time students would be eligible to claim a maintenance loan in the future. Whether or not the government actually does it is another matter... if they do, it certainly won't be before 2017.

The OU doesn't fund you; you take out student loans from the student loans company like everyone else.

An OU degree is made up of 120 credits at level 1 (equivalent to first year of a degree), 120 credits at level 2 and 120 credits at level 3. You can do 120 credits a year and finish a degree in three years, but this would be very difficult if you're working alongside your studies. Most people take between 4 and 6 years to do their degree.
    Thank you!! It's so helpful to have it explained better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.