Should the 'Foundation' option in GCSEs be withdrawn, particularly for core subjects?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Do you think everyone should do the Higher Tier?
    Yes, they're getting a pass with minimal effort
    42.22%
    No, some people struggle to attain a C
    53.33%
    I'm not sure
    4.44%

ReputationRep:
    What do you think? I believe everyone should be encouraged to do the same paper as most people which is known as the 'Higher' one.

Another question: Does a C on the Foundation Tier paper equate to that on the Higher one?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say they are getting a C grade without any effort as from what I have seen, especially in maths where it is easier to get a C in higher compared to foundation.

They should definitely get rid of the foundation tier, though. Don't really see the purpose of it because then you just enforce a lower ceiling on something that is already seen as "easy" by so many students and the general public.

ReputationRep:
    No idea why GCSEs would need a "Foundation" tier in the first place - if someone's going to get a C either way, scrap the "Core" option, force them to learn the additional material for Extended, and let them get a similar grade in the proper exam.

ReputationRep:
    Yes only idiots do foundation

ReputationRep:
    Hmm not sure. I remember in highschool i was in the lowest set for maths and our teacher entered our class for the higher paper. We asked her why she didn't put us in for the foundation paper and she told us it's actually easier to obtain a C in the higher paper than it is in the foundation.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. It's a joke how easy foundation papers are. The foundation maths papers for example are literally year 7 level maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie Vardy)
    What do you think? I believe everyone should be encouraged to do the same paper as most people which is known as the 'Higher' one.

Another question: Does a C on the Foundation Tier paper equate to that on the Higher one?
    I think they should put foundation on higher tier, for lower C than a higher C would be equiv to higher tier. For example on new 1-9 like 4 a foundation tier pass, 5 a higher tier low pass, 6 a strong C/low B from higher tier.

ReputationRep:
    Nope it should not be removed, but should be increased to atleast a B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussia)
    You tell em

ReputationRep:
    The word is not "idiot" it is not being mentally challenged enough to do i

ReputationRep:
    Retards!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Like you!
    I am the retard. Yet, I am in higher for everything, you're the one that is probably doing a btec level health and social care course.

(Original post by Jamie Vardy)

I was forced to do foundation tier in one core subject despite several complaints and despite having proven myself capable of achieveing Cs in a foundation tier exam so certainly should be scrapped imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    I was forced to do foundation tier in one core subject despite several complaints and despite having proven myself capable of achieveing Cs in a foundation tier exam so certainly should be scrapped imo.
    Lol what a loser! Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lalarw)
    I am the retard. Yet, I am in higher for everything, you're the one that is probably doing a btec level health and social care course.
    I have almost all A*s! Rot in your Cs 😊!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have almost all A*s! Rot in your Cs 😊!!!
    I have B/A'S, don't need to be big headed about it PRUSSIA. Are you sure they aren't Btec distinctions that are the same as A*. I believe you are mistaken good sir.

ReputationRep:
    I think that though some find it more difficult to get a decent score on a test than others (as the subject may come naturally to them), I think there should be a one-tier paper that goes across all grades so that people can aspire for different grades (whether that be a C or an A*).

In answer to your second question, the two C's don't equate if you're talking about marks as you need to score higher to get a C in foundation than a C in higher (since Higher tier goes all the way up to an A*).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lalarw)
    I have B/A'S, don't need to be big headed about it PRUSSIA. Are you sure they aren't Btec distinctions that are the same as A*. I believe you are mistaken good sir.
    I'm sure! You in ten years:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Lol what a loser! Hope I helped!
    **** off loser stop stalking me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prussia)
    i'm sure! You in ten years:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    hahhaha don't. Make. Assumptions. Love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    **** off loser stop stalking me.
    Drown in your Cs!!! Have a nice day!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Reported you five times so you should be banned soon

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.