Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B grade in the GCSE BUT want to do A-level Maths and Further Maths then degree Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a Maths degree too. I have a real passion for Maths but I feel like I'm being denied the opportunities which I've outlined because of my B grade. I haven't got my results yet and I need to do Unit 3 of the AQA Maths GCSE as well still (if I do well, I'll be on an A - otherwise, I will get a *****y B grade).

Help? Is it possible with hard work and dedication?

ReputationRep:
    Maths A2 is extremely difficult bro, much different to GCSE.

I was in bottom set for Maths and got an A, and we were all told that we wouldn't be able to cope with the work so that we definitely shouldn't do it

(Original post by NEED2CUM)
    I want to do a Maths degree too. I have a real passion for Maths but I feel like I'm being denied the opportunities which I've outlined because of my B grade. I haven't got my results yet and I need to do Unit 3 of the AQA Maths GCSE as well still (if I do well, I'll be on an A - otherwise, I will get a *****y B grade).

Of course it is possible! Don't worry! It just depends where you want to study. Some require higher grades others not so much.

ReputationRep:

If you want to do a maths degree continue with maths , theres no point of doing something else if you don't even want to study it (though you still need like 3 A levels in total)

Maths, Further Maths, something else.

Subjects certainly are always possible with handwork and dedication to hit maximum marks. Every-time you ask the people who do worse at maths , why they do bad at maths they say something like they are bad at maths or find it hard. But these people all have in common that they have done less maths than the person who is actually prospering in maths. Sometimes its really finding that certain something that makes everything else seem easy all of a sudden ☆.

ReputationRep:

It is definitely possible assuming that your teachers will let you take them. What's the reason for you getting a B/A though? As harsh as it may sound, if you're not getting an A* in maths at GCSE, further maths will probably be out of your league unless you do work over the summer. At our school the top maths set did 2 maths GCSEs (Applications and Methods) as well as FSMQ over the two years with A*s across them, and many of them still struggled at further maths (however they had to do it as a 5th option, so they were doing further maths, maths and 3 other subjects at the same time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon_reaper)
    It is definitely possible assuming that your teachers will let you take them. What's the reason for you getting a B/A though? As harsh as it may sound, if you're not getting an A* in maths at GCSE, further maths will probably be out of your league unless you do work over the summer. At our school the top maths set did 2 maths GCSEs (Applications and Methods) as well as FSMQ over the two years with A*s across them, and many of them still struggled at further maths (however they had to do it as a 5th option, so they were doing further maths, maths and 3 other subjects at the same time).
    Just doing last minute revision for GCSE Maths exams I suppose. I'm planning on working hard during the summer and learning the stuff I should be able to do in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not speaking from experience because I'm also in Year 11, but our school is only letting people do Further Maths if you get 90% raw marks at GCSE because of the difficulty. Idk what percentage an A/B is but I think that might give you an idea.
    However, if maths is what you want to do, then I'm sure you can smash it if you work hard from the beginning

ReputationRep:
    Just doing last minute revision for GCSE Maths exams I suppose. I'm planning on working hard during the summer and learning the stuff I should be able to do in advance.
    If you're getting a B/A at Gcse, i doubt you'll be able to pull it out the bag for futher maths a level; especially if youre doing last minute revision even though you want to do a degree in it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I achieved a B in Maths at GCSE and wasn't able to take Further Maths like I had planned, so I took Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing instead. I really struggled with Maths in AS and came out with a D, despite consistently getting A's in homeworks. I did have some mitigating circumstances, but I think at GCSE I (like yourself) revised last minute and had poor revision skills, which really hindered my potential. Regardless of whether you take Further Maths, please brush up on your revision skills. When you start AS, make sure you are comfortable accessing extra resources, doing past papers, structuring your revision and finding a schedule that works for you. For example, I do a question at a time, take a 5 minute break, then crack on and when exams are nearer I do past papers under exam conditions. Also, make sure you feel comfortable asking for help from teachers, even if you're not fussed/don't really know them. I wasted many opportunities to get help because I was too shy to speak to the majority of the teachers in the subject departments!

A B in GCSE Maths wouldn't be the end of the world, though. After taking a year out, resitting a few exams and sorting out some health issues, I'm now on track to achieve an A in A-Level Maths and I hope to study a Computer Science degree. I would have loved to have done a Maths degree, but, without Further Maths, it would have been difficult. I think it's been a bit of a blessing to have not done Further Maths at A-Level, to be honest. I've discovered a subject I enjoy more and, as people are saying above, if you're struggling to achieve an A at GCSE (whether it be to poor revision or a limit of your ability), Further Maths may not be for you.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more positive, but I hope this helps. If you do better than expected and do pick Further Maths then I hope you can prove us wrong!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.