Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I recently have been trying to lose weight. Stats are: female / 70kg / 5'2

I know that's overweight so I want to get down to 60kg as that is in the healthy weight range, and I'd like to do this in the summer before I go to uni in September as I feel like it would be easier to maintain rather than keep losing weight during the transition and I don't want to accidentally put it all back on by getting stressed out.

Do you think it's possible to lose the 10kg in the time before September/October?
    I have been changing my diet and trying to add more exercise, but I've been mostly maintaining until my exams are over. (only 9 more days )

Also are there any specific cardio exercises that you recommend?

I'm not a fan of gyms as I've always had low self-confidence and have no one to go with me, but I'm considering maybe going swimming early in the mornings but I'm not sure if that's better than walking/running?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey! After my first year at college I was about 12 and a half stone. Over the space of the following summer holiday I got myself down to 10 and a half. So that was in about the space of two months, so yes it is possible! I was going to the gym 4-5 times a week burning 900-1200 calories each session.
    Diet is defiantly a big one, but don't make a suddern change, make ot gradual. I made a suddern change in diet and my sleeping and energy levels for a while really did not like it. I know you said you didn't like the gym but i foind the crosscutters really great for burning calories, the same goes for rowing machines. Swimming is also brilliant and can give you a firm body also. Walking/running can also be very good, go on an adventure with a friend or something and the time will just fly by.
    Good luck with your exams, mine are over on 11 days.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, losing 10kg in 2-3 months is very achievable. I've written an articleabout the best way to lose 1-2kg a week, if you fancy giving it a read.

http://www.tomrobinsonpt.com/#!5-Ste...f2cc77abf7fcfb

I'd recommend doing HIIT as the best form of cardio for losing weight. Also,make sure you do weight lifting 3-5 times a week as this can also speed up fatloss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingForIt)
    Hey! After my first year at college I was about 12 and a half stone. Over the space of the following summer holiday I got myself down to 10 and a half. So that was in about the space of two months, so yes it is possible! I was going to the gym 4-5 times a week burning 900-1200 calories each session.
    Diet is defiantly a big one, but don't make a sudden change, make ot gradual. I made a suddern change in diet and my sleeping and energy levels for a while really did not like it. I know you said you didn't like the gym but i foind the crosscutters really great for burning calories, the same goes for rowing machines. Swimming is also brilliant and can give you a firm body also. Walking/running can also be very good, go on an adventure with a friend or something and the time will just fly by.
    Good luck with your exams, mine are over on 11 days.
    Thank you for the response, and also congrats on achieving that!

I have been making slow changes to my diet already like cutting portion sizes and adding more water and veg. Is there anything else I should be doing in terms of diet specifically?

I do think I might start swimming and I have dogs so I do walk them and hope to be able to increase the time I can spend doing those in the holidays (I've been lazy lately saying I can't do it for long because of exams lol) but I may also see if I am up to the idea of going to the gym if I can get over my anxieties hah

But thanks, good luck to you too!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Swimming is excellent as is walking the dog. Build a routine and be consistent. You should also consider doing weights.

If you are serious about losing weight then you need to count calories to know that you are at deficit. that means weighing your food. Also sign up to MFP.

You only lose if you are at deficit over time.

Its doable in 3 monthsm but he closer you get to target the slower it will get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Swimming is excellent as is walking the dog. Build a routine and be consistent. You should also consider doing weights.

If you are serious about losing weight then you need to count calories to know that you are at deficit. that means weighing your food. Also sign up to MFP.

You only lose if you are at deficit over time.

Its doable in 3 monthsm but he closer you get to target the slower it will get.
    I have started doing a bit of weights too but I haven't made it into any kind of routine so i will try that

Ahh I really have been trying to avoid the idea of counting calories because it seems like so much effort lol but that is a good idea to make sure i am at a deficit

Thank you though
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    I have started doing a bit of weights too but I haven't made it into any kind of routine so i will try that

Ahh I really have been trying to avoid the idea of counting calories because it seems like so much effort lol but that is a good idea to make sure i am at a deficit

Thank you though
    You cna do it without counting caloriies, but you will never know whether you are at deficit or not. To lose that much weight in that amount of time then you really need to be consistent and doing an hours vogoprous exercise a day as a min.

Weight loss is mostly about diet. If its really importnat to you then you need to make a plan, focus and commit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.