Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Just a couple quick questions for Manchester Med Students:

In Phase 2 onwards, do you spend no time at the Stopford building/main campus? Is the whole year at the hospital?

Are 5th years ever at stopford/main campus or are they also at the allocated hospital all the time? Do 1st years and 5th years ever mix?

Is the Progress test sat by all at the same time in the same place?

Can any of you maybe post a first year timetable? I know it's gonna vary from student to student depending on PBL groups etc, but just curious on what kinda timetable's first years have. Just wanna see what kinda time you spend at the uni in a week and how long on PBL and what times you have your 'sessions'.

How many lectures do you guys have?

Apologies for the stupid questions and questions which you can only provide vague answers for!
    Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Yeah, during phases 2 and 3 you are based at your teaching hospital, one of its DGHs or out in the community all the time, but you do get sent to Stopford every now and again for stuff like communication, or prescribing or whatever else as one offs. Ive had to go to Stopford a few times a year in clinical years, but you do spend the vast majority of your time clinically. 5th year I probably went to Stopford more than 3rd or 4th because they have a load of sessions specifically designed to get you ready for finals. 5th year and 1st year students would never see each other though, the course is not even similar at the beginning and at the end.

The progress test is sat by everyone in the school at the same time yeah, so that you cant tell other year groups the questions!

All first years are in the same amount, the only difference will be the actual time of your sessions. If I remember right theres 3 hours of PBL a week, 2 hours of anatomy, 2 hours of physiology and pharmacology and then about 10 hours of lectures (I never attended lectures though so it could be more or less!) Then there will be other sessions that are thrown in sporadically for comms etc.

Think that answers your questions, happy to answer more if you have them though!

EDIT: I should say as well though that it is 5 years since I was in first year and they may have changed things since then, but I dont think it will be drastically different
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JayAhm)
    Hey!

Just a couple quick questions for Manchester Med Students:

In Phase 2 onwards, do you spend no time at the Stopford building/main campus? Is the whole year at the hospital?

Are 5th years ever at stopford/main campus or are they also at the allocated hospital all the time? Do 1st years and 5th years ever mix?

Is the Progress test sat by all at the same time in the same place?

Can any of you maybe post a first year timetable? I know it's gonna vary from student to student depending on PBL groups etc, but just curious on what kinda timetable's first years have. Just wanna see what kinda time you spend at the uni in a week and how long on PBL and what times you have your 'sessions'.

How many lectures do you guys have?

Apologies for the stupid questions and questions which you can only provide vague answers for!
    Thanks for your help
    In phase 2 you're generally at your base hospital, however, that doesn't stop you from coming into Stopford to use the clusters, CSLC or library. You may have the odd lecture in Stopford if you're based at CMFT.

The progress test is sat on the same day and time but places can generally vary, some will be in the academy, some will be in sugden so it all varies.

First year timetable.

Monday:PBL open
    Anatomy takes place on either Monday or Friday depending on the group you're allocated.

Tuesday: 3 lectures in the afternoon 2-5

Wednesday 3 lectures in the morning 9-12

Thursday CSLC/EBM/Phys-Pharm (semester 2)

Friday: PBL close
    Wrap-up lecture
    Could have anatomy here also.

1st year and 5th years can mix at societies and especially so at the Manchester Medics Football/Cricket.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Zakadoh zed963 !

Happen to know a 5th year who I've never liked so hoping I won't ever run into em :P It's a big med school so hopefully not

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Zakadoh zed963 !

Happen to know a 5th year who I've never liked so hoping I won't ever run into em :P It's a big med school so hopefully not
    Even within my own year group there were people who I liked that I could go months without seeing and I was still meeting new faces from my year, who were at the same hospital, at the end of the degree! You will very likely never run into your dreaded 5th year, there are thousands of med students in Manchester!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thanks Zakadoh zed963 !

I don't think I'll completely get to know everyone in my year. There's just too many.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.