Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad Attendance - meetings, being kicked out, university chances. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering how much attendance can hinder my university chances. I'm on about 84% and have recently had a meeting in which I was informed that my bad attendance is causing me to be monitored to see if the college want to keep me on next year as I've missed about 20 lessons in each subject and my attendance will be put on my references.

I am ill quite a bit with back and stomach pain but now I'm on the pill that seems to have cleared up but it has caused me to have time off in the past and I also get very depressed and find it hard to go in somedays plus recently I have suffered from family times meaning I have to take 2 hour journey hospital visits to see my nephew which is in the weekdays and cannot be changed.

My UCAS application gets sent off this year so I'm slightly worried, I will try and get a doctors note and attend as much as I can from now on.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by PrincessChloe_)
    Hi, I was wondering how much attendance can hinder my university chances. I'm on about 84% and have recently had a meeting in which I was informed that my bad attendance is causing me to be monitored to see if the college want to keep me on next year as I've missed about 20 lessons in each subject and my attendance will be put on my references.

I am ill quite a bit with back and stomach pain but now I'm on the pill that seems to have cleared up but it has caused me to have time off in the past and I also get very depressed and find it hard to go in somedays plus recently I have suffered from family times meaning I have to take 2 hour journey hospital visits to see my nephew which is in the weekdays and cannot be changed.

My UCAS application gets sent off this year so I'm slightly worried, I will try and get a doctors note and attend as much as I can from now on.
    You need to make sure that your school understands why you're taking so many absences. They're not unreasonable, your school wants the best for you and if there's a legitimate medical reason why your attendance is poor, they will understand and will be able to take measures to minimise the negative impact on you. But they're only able to do that if you're keeping them informed.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The college has rules, so read those. Monitoring isnt a bad thing, just means they are aware you arent attending as much and they have asked you to explain. The question is will your lack of attendance impact on your studies? You should get notes concerning your medical problems and the fact you need to visit your nephew at the expense of your course. Its your grades that really matter.

ReputationRep:

Make sure your school knows why so they can support you and not work against you. I would also recommend seeing the doctor regarding depression as silly as it may seem it could get severe .

Edittarted giving advice lol I doubt it will have much of an impact. Why would they put it in our reference though? In my reference they said so many good things about me I couldn't believe it. Then again I did work really hard
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

Schools want to get rid of you. They have league tables and statistics and things, so are judged on how many school leavers end up in employment or higher education. They're not going to give you a bad reference, because if you get rejected you'll then take another year there to resit, which will make them look bad.
    So it's very likely that the threat to put it in your reference is just a threat.

However, you will need to meet any offers that you do get. If you're not in school then you are missing work. You can try to catch up, but then you have more work and less time to do it. You've got the whole summer ahead of you now, so it would be a good idea to ensure you know all last year's work thoroughly, and maybe even start to get ahead of next year's. If you need to visit your nephew then you'll probably know in advance, so can ask teachers what lessons you'll miss and do some of the work on the journey.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.