Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UCAS Form - Music qualifications watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Nowt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Now that UCAS has introduced points for music exams, are people putting down their music qualifications and which ones? Although you only receive points for Grades 6+, UCAS have an example with a Grade 5 Flute in.

Someone has also told me that you're only supposed to put down Grades 4+? Any suggestions?

This is mainly because I have qualifications from a heap of different instruments, which I played when I was about 7 and then abandoned at age 11 or so
    Also, for ABRSM at least, when you go on to a practical exam that is higher than Grade 8, you need to take Grade 5 Theory. Do you put this down on your UCAS form too?

Finally, how exactly do you fit the word 'Distinction' in that tiny box of results?! :confused:
    To be fair - I doubt unis really look at it unless you are doing a practical mussicc course in which case you apply to musicc college and are expected to have diploma. Just mention it in your PS.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Really don't have that much space in PS, so would rather focus on other things and just give music a mention in qualifications?

I'm working towards my DipABRSM on Piano though, so seems like years of commitment and effort ignored if I don't mention it somewhere? :confused:
    In my UCAS application last year....i put down the last grades i did on each instrument i'm still playing (ie. Piano Grade 8, Sax grade 4,)....and left out clarinet grade 5 cos i didn't do so well ..i dunno how many instruments you do. If I were you, put down the lower grades on intruments that you are still learning.....say if you took up flute last year and now you're grade 3...put that in. If it was from 10 years ago...leave it imo.

For the diploma...put it in..then put grade as pending. You should at least mention music in your PS....but don't spend too much time on it if you're running out of space.

In the results....i put the mark i got out of 150.

G

ReputationRep:
    i've been told you should only put down grades of 5 or above, because those are actually worth points. So i never put down my guitar grade 3. I didnt bother mentioning it in my PS either, so they didnt seem to care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i've been told you should only put down grades of 5 or above, because those are actually worth points. So i never put down my guitar grade 3. I didnt bother mentioning it in my PS either, so they didnt seem to care.
    They weren't worth any point when we applied though. I think the points thing is only starting this year.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    They weren't worth any point when we applied though. I think the points thing is only starting this year.

G
    They were worth points but a lot of the time uniss specify points from 3 a levels only so it is hardly worth it and russell group unis don't use points anyway.

MB

ReputationRep:
    You may have limited PS space, but it really doesn't take much to just write in your "additional hobbies" section: "I also have Grade 8 distinction at _____ and am currently studying for a diploma."
    As previously mentioned, I wouldn't bother putting music qualifications on your UCAS unless you are applying to a uni which gives offers in the form of Tariff points (i.e. usually none of the top universities).

ReputationRep:
    Now that UCAS has introduced points for music exams, are people putting down their music qualifications and which ones? Although you only receive points for Grades 6+, UCAS have an example with a Grade 5 Flute in.

Someone has also told me that you're only supposed to put down Grades 4+? Any suggestions?

This is mainly because I have qualifications from a heap of different instruments, which I played when I was about 7 and then abandoned at age 11 or so
    Also, for ABRSM at least, when you go on to a practical exam that is higher than Grade 8, you need to take Grade 5 Theory. Do you put this down on your UCAS form too?

Finally, how exactly do you fit the word 'Distinction' in that tiny box of results?! :confused:
    I put 'Dist' instead of 'distinction', though I know some people who put their mark in (though admissions tutors may not understand a random number if they don't know what the grades are out of).

ReputationRep:
    There's not much point in just putting in a random sentence about music if I can't show the skills it brings and relate it to my chosen subject, Economics. Especially since I tried putting one in and it completely disrupted the flow of my PS
    How's the PS going deinara?

ReputationRep:
    The extra-curricular part is way too long. But I can't not include it all! I don't have space for D of E, sport, community service or my work experience. And that's after cutting out music
    Don't worry too much. I'm putting my D of E gold in, but since I've run out of space too, I'm leaving stuff like YE and CSLA out, because they tend to be the things everyone has done, and I'd rather put things that make me stand out in. I'm going to tweak mine over the summer though, so mine's just a sucession of random crap at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    YE takes up 4 lines on mine. Dammit, if anything's going to get me into university, it's going to be YE! Not putting CSLA on mine. It seems a shame. Would quite like to tie that in with how am running Reading Half Marathon or summat.

What did you put for D of E? Strength + leadership? Did you relate it at all to Economics or just leadershippy skills?
    Hey deianra I really think you should put your musical stuff in, as getting to dipABRSM standard is such an achievement. Why don't you have a paragraph on non-economics stuff such as dipABRSM +music, d of E etc. You could put something like: "Outside Economics, I have a great interest in music....blah blah blah. I have also completed my D of E.. etc". You could also put that your music qualifications show your ability to commit yourself to a long-term project and your determination to succeed - these are essential qualities for someone doing a degree!!

ReputationRep:
    I've got Grade 8 Piano and Flute and Grade 7 Theory and I put them down; and the only music on my course is the sweet sound of opening and closing text books. You might as well, have nothing to lose by doing it and the admissions people wouldn't have any problems with it.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, I do a lot more other stuff than that which is perhaps more relevant to Economics. Thus, I've got to do a select/reject process of all my extra-curriculars. There's really no way I can fit all of them in.

Things like Young Enterprise, public speaking/debating, running own web design business, prefect/sixth form council/organising school Open Day are included at present. I've judged these to be slightly more relevant than the various musical activities I do and the sport that I play. Hoping to fit in my volunteering, D of E and work experience but have no idea how. :confused:
    I think the least impressive are prefect, sport, organising open day, which anyone can do and LOADS of people put on their UCAS forms (i was a prefect and organised open days and they didn't go on my form). I think the most impressive is Young Enterprise (not sure what it is exactly), running own web design business (shows initiative, interest, motivation etc - this is unusual and not many people will have this), music achievement (getting up to dipABRSM shows diversity in your character I think). Just my opinion though! Have you drafted your personal statement yet? You could post up what you've done so far as we could be more helpful if we could see what you've done on it.

ReputationRep:
    If that's the case just put music in the qualification bit, no point in taking up vital PS space when you can just put it somewhere else, with near equal effect.

ReputationRep:
    YE takes up 4 lines on mine. Dammit, if anything's going to get me into university, it's going to be YE! Not putting CSLA on mine. It seems a shame. Would quite like to tie that in with how am running Reading Half Marathon or summat.

What did you put for D of E? Strength + leadership? Did you relate it at all to Economics or just leadershippy skills?
    I was an MD of a YE company too, only got to the 2nd round though. I put D of E down as determination, commitment blah blah in a separate paragraph about why I'd be a good student, rather than why I'd be a good Economics student, if you see what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Have you completed Gold? Did you ramble on about where you've done your hike/what you did, etc? I've finished Silver, completing Gold. Wasn't old enough to start it... :rolleyes:
    Yeah I've finished my gold. I did my hike in Iceland and mentioned that briefly, cos I thought it was pretty cool really I just bascially said that I met new people, thrown into a new situation and responded well, as this tends to be what happens at uni when you're thrown in at the deep end and have to get on with new people.

ReputationRep:
    Have you completed Gold? Did you ramble on about where you've done your hike/what you did, etc? I've finished Silver, completing Gold. Wasn't old enough to start it... :rolleyes:
    Hey, i've sent you my advice about ur PS in the form of 3 PMs as it said it was too long to send as 1. Did you get them?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.