Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I've just finished my AS year studying maths, chemistry, biology and psychology. I'd really love to study archaeology and anthropology at uni, but I'm not sure if the subjects I'm studying are ideal - do they tend to prefer history/class civ instead of just science subjects?

Is anyone studying archaeology and anthropology after doing mainly science subjects at A Level, like me?

Are any of those subjects less relevant to archaeology and anthropology? I'd quite like to do an EPQ that relates to arch and anth, so I'd need to drop an A Level.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    I think A-levels in general would prepare you well enough for such a degree, although if you are likely to choose certain modules in your degree (e.g. ones of a laboratory nature, and/or ones relating to human biology, and/or recent history - e.g. the last 500 years), that may influence whether you choose subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, various Enviromental Sciences...Geography...History and so on. (When I did my BA Archaeology degree for example, choosing certain modules gave you the option of switching into a BSc Archaeological Sciences degree!).

Out of those four subjects, I cannot really say that any of them would be of no use for a Bachelors degree: I suspect though that Maths would be more of general use, and perhaps more of a benefit for your choice of dissertation (I think if I had done Maths at A-level, I might have been able to do a lot more magic with my data, and thus gained a lot more marks...) and doctorate degrees...and perhaps with psychology, at Bachelor level, that will only give you an advantage in that you are informed about how human behaviour might have been in the past (and thus how that might affect the archaeological record!)...if that was a special interest, it would of course affect your choice of modules, and perhaps your choice of dissertation and any doctorate research if you choose to do that.
    Thank you so much, that's really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torilee)
    Hi everyone!

I've just finished my AS year studying maths, chemistry, biology and psychology. I'd really love to study archaeology and anthropology at uni, but I'm not sure if the subjects I'm studying are ideal - do they tend to prefer history/class civ instead of just science subjects?

Is anyone studying archaeology and anthropology after doing mainly science subjects at A Level, like me?

Are any of those subjects less relevant to archaeology and anthropology? I'd quite like to do an EPQ that relates to arch and anth, so I'd need to drop an A Level.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Hi Torilee!

I'm hoping to apply to study archaeology and anthropology, but I actually have both at A-Level! Don't be discouraged though: many applicants apply with scientific A-Levels, and arch and anth are truly the most versatile subjects you can study.

Your options are good, with perhaps maths being a bit out of place! Ironic considering it is such an excellent subject to offer for most degrees. At most, the only maths you would really be doing is Bayesian statistics, but certainly nothing that could be learnt without it. Chemistry and Biology however are superb options for both archaeology and anthropology, with the former being especially useful for anthropology. Psychology is a solid subject for anthropology: you'll probably find quite an overlap. Perhaps not with the content, but certainly for the methodology: social sciences always compliment each other.

An EPQ is a really good way to demonstrate your interest in the combined subjects - I've recently completed mine on the Rosetta Stone and got an A*! In terms of what subject you should drop, I find myself in a strange position of saying maths! If you want to keep your options open, then I would suggest keeping maths and possibly dropping either psychology or chemistry. Biology is the superior science to offer for archaeology and anthropology.

All the best! And good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.