The Student Room Group

Can I cope with A-Level maths physics and chemistry

So in September I'll begin year 12 and will be taking maths, physics and chemistry.
Currently I am predicted A for maths, A* For physics and chemistry and I just want to know how you guys coped
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Hiya! I'm doing chemistry AS myself now, in fact I'm hoping to start my A2s this September. I must say, if you're good at maths, you shouldn't struggle with chemistry :smile: so if those are the 3 subjects you wanna do, go ahead! If you work hard, anything is achievable :smile: do you know which exam boards you'd be using?
As the previous person mentioned if you are decent/good at maths you'll be fine. At GCSE I had an A* in chemistry, however when it got to a level I found the maths to be too demanding (only had a C) and since there is a big math difference between GCSE and AS and so I came out with an E, honestly the modules in the subject are very difficult but the maths is fairly demanding!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I got A* in Physics and Chem at GCSE and an A in maths and I do them all at A2 now.
In terms of content it is honestly so interesting and fun and if you enjoy the content at GCSE then A Level is so worthwhile.
I'd say if you definitely want to do physics then please please please do maths too. Even if you're great at maths now I found A Level maths to be so supportive to physics. In terms of workload, yes it's a lot, but most A Levels are. And now with the spec change I can only imagine your content and exam technique will be more difficult and pedantic than mine.
In terms of difficulty I go Physics>Maths>Chemistry. Physics is a pain. But still interesting. Chemistry is usually lovely...

Spoiler

In terms of coping though it is a different story. A lot of people who do the same subjects as me at our college are doing fine, they breeze through and they do well. Some don't. It depends on how you cope with it and how well you use your resources and what your teachers are like. I can honestly say all of mine are so brilliant and supportive.
Just remember that they are literally three of the top hardest A Levels (I imagine there's only one or two other subjects like FMaths and something like compsci that's more difficult..?)

If you enjoy it go for it. It's manageable. Many people do it and do well.

If I had to start A Levels again I'd still do all three of these subjects and I have pretty much no regrets.
Physics is solid. Just saying haha.

Skips :smile:
Reply 6
Its fine i'm doing bio,chem, maths and physics, chemistry is the hardest but our teacher is crap(highest mock grade in the year was a C),Maths and physics are easy to do well in(i'm predicted A in both

Quick Reply