The Student Room Group

Is it possible to transfer from a Bsc to an Msci or Meng in a different uni?

I'm going to be applying for unis this september so I know it's a little early to be considering this, but I figure there's no harm in planning ahead.

I've been looking at Comp Science degrees in different unis, and I've found that most of the unis that offer Msci or Meng require A-level Maths alongside a BTEC(I'm doing BTEC IT L3). I am planning to do A-level Maths next year, but I don't think I'll be able to get a good predicted grade because I'll be studying independently. Also, I might end up failing it.

So my question is:
If I take a Bsc in a uni that doesn't require A-level Maths for the first year, would I be able to transfer to an Msci or Meng in another uni afterwards based on strong grades in the first year? I'm thinking of going to Cardiff or Bangor for the first year, then transferring to Birmingham or Manchester if possible.
No idea, but wouldnt it be better just to get on the phone and asl your destination Unis?
Original post by 999tigger
No idea, but wouldnt it be better just to get on the phone and asl your destination Unis?

I'd agree with this - contacting individual departments would probably give you a better idea of their flexibility/if such a thing is even possible to do.

I don't know if this is something that you would consider, but if there are unis that accept people for BSc without maths A level and also offer a MSci/MEng programme, you could start on the BSc and switch to the MSci/MEng once there.

I would think that it would be far easier to transfer from the BSc to a MSci/MEng internally, i.e. at the uni you were doing the BSc at. Most places I looked at (admittedly not for Computer Science) said that once you were on the course, provided your end of first/second year grades were good enough, you could switch up to the masters for third year onwards fairly easily. Since starting at uni I've had several emails mention the possibility of changing flavour of degree programme from BSc to masters and vice versa.

I imagine that it would be a good deal more complicated to actually change university that it would be to switch programme, however I know this would depend on the possible BSc unis also offering MSci programmes that you were interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending