Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! I'm a prospective CS student who wants to live in halls for the first year and I'm planning to fill the form with five possible choices: Wessex Lane (Ensuite and Non-ensuite), Glen Eyre, Archers Road(Ensuite) and Bencraft. I've seen many threads discussing which is better for whom, but my main struggle is not being sure in what order I want them.

- I'm not particularly wealthy, so I thought about arranging them by price first
    - I fancy Wessex Lane and Glen Eyre the most. One is closer to university, while the other seems to be the most populated and lively
    -My friends (2 boys, same course) seem to be a little squeamish and Non-ensuite doesn't really excite them, but we want to be together so I guess I'd prefer Ensuite too (I also usually shower accompanied by loud music and it takes me almost an hour which may bother some people)
    -Combining all options leads me to Wessex Lane Ensuite BUT it's the most expensive of the five and I also read somewhere that more than 15 minutes in the shower means flooding your room.

Every arrangement I think of collides with at least one of my requirements.

For people too lazy to read or those with better ways to waste time: I am wondering exactly how important the order of choices is. Should I actually give it that much thought?

P.S. That title sounds like an episode of The Big Bang Theory

ReputationRep:
    EE at So'ton this year :five:

I picked Wessex Lane twice and Glen Eyre twice, with preferences for the ensuite ~ I definitely have a preference for being able to use my own loo even though it's a little more.

I've heard that it's very likely that you'll get your first or second choice, so it's definitely important to put your favourite down as no.1.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply, I will be careful when choosing. Do you know the deadline for applications?

ReputationRep:
    Second year who lived in Wessex Lane here. Wessex Lane is fantastic and really lively, especially in Montefiore, but it's also easily walkable to uni. A little bit further than Glen but only about a five minute difference, you will also receive a free bus pass with accommodation and there is a bus stop immediately outside Wessex. Glen however is also a great choice, really green and nice but also a little bit more insular and feels less connected to the overall social scene as it's further from Portswood (the nearby student haunt with clubs like Sobar and Jesters) and requires two buses, rather than one to get there. Archers road is quite far, haven't been there much but I've heard it's okay.

The whole ensuite thing is really not that much of an issue unless you are a germophobe or something, the bathrooms are cleaned by a cleaner literally every day. Sorry to say but Bencraft is tragic. The people who live there get on with it and its not unbearable but it is seriously far away from almost everything and the facilities are dreadful, every building is also a grey concrete block. It is literally attached to a crematorium. It's quite nice if you want to know the 100~ or so people at Bencraft obscenely well though, they all stick together like it's a prisoner of war camp. Hope that helps, just let me know if you have any other questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pyoko123)
    Second year who lived in Wessex Lane here. Wessex Lane is fantastic and really lively, especially in Montefiore, but it's also easily walkable to uni. A little bit further than Glen but only about a five minute difference, you will also receive a free bus pass with accommodation and there is a bus stop immediately outside Wessex. Glen however is also a great choice, really green and nice but also a little bit more insular and feels less connected to the overall social scene as it's further from Portswood (the nearby student haunt with clubs like Sobar and Jesters) and requires two buses, rather than one to get there. Archers road is quite far, haven't been there much but I've heard it's okay.

The whole ensuite thing is really not that much of an issue unless you are a germophobe or something, the bathrooms are cleaned by a cleaner literally every day. Sorry to say but Bencraft is tragic. The people who live there get on with it and its not unbearable but it is seriously far away from almost everything and the facilities are dreadful, every building is also a grey concrete block. It is literally attached to a crematorium. It's quite nice if you want to know the 100~ or so people at Bencraft obscenely well though, they all stick together like it's a prisoner of war camp. Hope that helps, just let me know if you have any other questions.
    Damn Bencraft was my 3rd choice. I wonder if I should reconsider. Do you reckon spending an extra £20 a week is worth avoiding it? I'm not rich btw

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to share photos? The site doesn't show all rooms :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.