Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is a better name for a fictional Lawyer/Doctor? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm writing a romance novel. This is for the male romance hero's name. I want something short to reflect his character (strong and to the point). Which do you like and in what order?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Nah would pick Dave Brown. Much better suited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCoolVille)
    Nah would pick Dave Brown. Much better suited
    Dave sounds too informal for me haha. But thank you for the suggestion

ReputationRep:
    Or do Charles Grey! Thats sounds like a good name

ReputationRep:
    James Blake...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Force)
    Hi I'm writing a romance novel. This is for the male romance hero's name. I want something short to reflect his character (strong and to the point). Which do you like and in what order?

James Blake
    James Grey
    James Archer

Thank you!

James Grey has the least syllables (I think)

ReputationRep:
    Or Tyrone Brown!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCoolVille)
    Or Tyrone Brown!
    I like it but the story is set in 1900s London. I'm not sure if Tyrone would suit the era

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Force)

James Blake
    James Grey
    James Archer

Thank you!
    James Blake is the name of a singer so don't go with that haha... James Grey has a nice ring to it though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKT)
    James Blake is the name of a singer so don't go with that haha... James Grey has a nice ring to it though...
    How well known is he amongst people you know and in general? Would it effect the story you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Force)
    I like it but the story is set in 1900s London. I'm not sure if Tyrone would suit the era
    Ah damn, there goes my suggestion of DJ Icemaster then

If you want him to be ambitious and far reaching, go for archer

If you want mysterious and having to deal with cases involving moral grey areas, go with grey.

Otherwise go with Blake/Icemaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Force)
    How well known is he amongst people you know and in general? Would it effect the story you think?
    people who like r&b have most likely heard of him, but if they dont then they have probably heard a couple of his mainstream songs... he is known for "baby making music" so quite romantic and would have a positive impact on the story imo?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say James Archer. It's less common and when I read romance, I usually remember a unique name more. Blake is too common and I don't really like Grey for that type of character.

Good luck with your novel!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Force)
    I know James Blake more as a former American tennis player, never heard of the singer. In the US probably about as well known as Tim Henman is here, in this country obviously not quite as well known but tennis fans will have heard of him.

(Original post by Force)

James Blake
    James Grey
    James Archer

Thank you!
    Grey :facepalm:

As a writer myself, I'd go for a strong male name (such as Richard, whose strength is also in the regal connotation) and a memorable (and still strong) surname, such as Burns. So I'd go nonlinear and suggest Richard Burns. I know you preferred short, but Richard is still a better name than James. James is a supporting character, maybe Richard's vagabond brother. In my mind at least.

For the record, my own main character's name is Peter Iain Rutherford - though I'm a SFF author :pierre:

EDIT: reading on I see it's in the past. I stand by Richard Burns. Surely you'd trust a Dr Burns?

ReputationRep:
    I like James Blake.

ReputationRep:
    James Blake

ReputationRep:
    James Blake

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the responses so far!

ReputationRep:
    Anymore opinons? Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.