Religious people- was the Orlando attack a punishment for gays? Watch

Ladbants
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Wondering what religious people thought about this.
Hariex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If the attacks were perpetrated by Islamic extremists, then from their point of view, yes, these attacks are a form of punishment.

However, the response some religious people give is that it is a gross abuse of human free will. Freedom is seen as a good in itself and the costly price of this freedom is that people misuse it.
Ladbants
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Hariex)
If the attacks were perpetrated by Islamic extremists, then from their point of view, yes, these attacks are a form of punishment.

However, the response some religious people give is that it is a gross abuse of human free will. Freedom is seen as a good in itself and the costly price of this freedom is that people misuse it.
What do you think?
biglad2k16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't know. God is all powerful, he will always do what he feels is right.
cashcash871
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
God is all good. He sets the standard for what is good and bad. He will always do the right thing. We don't get to decide what is right and what is wrong since we've all sinned.
drogon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well for starters my religion has nothing against gays and consequently does not condone these actions because it goes against peace and many of my religion's teachings.
DetectivePeralta
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How do expect us to know? We are not God. God is the one who is all knowing and all good and all powerful.
Hariex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ladbants)
What do you think?
I don't think it's worth trying to present a neat logical argument letting God off the hook. Any appeal to the free will defence or 'sceptical theism' or Irenaean theodicies will provide no comfort for the friends and families who are grappling with the loss of a loved one. As a Christian I take seriously the idea that the crucifixion is a powerful symbol in the face of evil, that Jesus' death and resurrection provides a source of empowerment, life and peace amidst the reality of Islamic terrorist genocide.

That isn't palatable to most, and that's partly because it's not meant to be a theodicy. I believe Jesus' crucifixion is the hope of this world and the hope for any families grieving their loss. It's not a full answer, but if that's what you're looking for, good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (24)
26.97%
No (50)
56.18%
Don't know (15)
16.85%

Watched Threads