The Student Room Group

Which UKCAT resources for prep?

Hiya guys,
I’ve been preppin for the ukcat for a bit but i’m still not very confident with the AR. I’m ok with ones that have arrows and stuff but i'm not good enough with the ones with shapes which is whats dropping my score down. I’ve tried different help sources and they’ve made a big difference to where i was but AR shapes still trip me up. It's just how do you know what the pattern can be when there’s so many? For all other sections i’m pretty happy with my progress, I know i need to improve my reading speed but i think i’ll manage it by the time of the exam.

I’ve ordered the 1000 questions book from Amazon but right now I’m really sure what else to do for AR. You can see som eof what i’ve used below. Am i being silly and spreading myself too thin? What are you guys doing? There’s still a while for my test but i am already getting worried since it’s so important :/

For anyone who’s unsure and has yet to start, here are the ones I’ve tried already, I’d recommend all 3:
Medify.co.uk. I’d say this is the best one by far. It doesn’t have as useful tips as the other ones but it has tons of questions and since I’m always on my macbook anyway it’s really useful since I can just do questions whenever I feel like it. The questions also look like the official ones on the ukcat website so I’m hoping they resemble the actual thing!

Kaplan ukcat score highger on the ukcat. Pretty good too and I like their explanation questions in the begining of each section for the different question types but it’s a struggle sometimes finding motivation to pick up a physical book and sit on my desk and revise. But yea it’s a good one that has helped me pick up patterns. But it’s clearly not enough for me….

Completemedguide.com. This is pretty awesome for a lot of stuff not just ukcat but you still need medify on top of it as it doesn’t really have practice questions. I’d definitely recommend it for general help for people applying to med though.
Thanks a lot for these resources :smile:

I've done the 600Q book, and am doing Medify at the moment. :smile:
Original post by emmaK98
Hiya guys,
I’ve been preppin for the ukcat for a bit but i’m still not very confident with the AR. I’m ok with ones that have arrows and stuff but i'm not good enough with the ones with shapes which is whats dropping my score down. I’ve tried different help sources and they’ve made a big difference to where i was but AR shapes still trip me up. It's just how do you know what the pattern can be when there’s so many? For all other sections i’m pretty happy with my progress, I know i need to improve my reading speed but i think i’ll manage it by the time of the exam.

I’ve ordered the 1000 questions book from Amazon but right now I’m really sure what else to do for AR. You can see som eof what i’ve used below. Am i being silly and spreading myself too thin? What are you guys doing? There’s still a while for my test but i am already getting worried since it’s so important :/

For anyone who’s unsure and has yet to start, here are the ones I’ve tried already, I’d recommend all 3:
Medify.co.uk. I’d say this is the best one by far. It doesn’t have as useful tips as the other ones but it has tons of questions and since I’m always on my macbook anyway it’s really useful since I can just do questions whenever I feel like it. The questions also look like the official ones on the ukcat website so I’m hoping they resemble the actual thing!

Kaplan ukcat score highger on the ukcat. Pretty good too and I like their explanation questions in the begining of each section for the different question types but it’s a struggle sometimes finding motivation to pick up a physical book and sit on my desk and revise. But yea it’s a good one that has helped me pick up patterns. But it’s clearly not enough for me….

Completemedguide.com. This is pretty awesome for a lot of stuff not just ukcat but you still need medify on top of it as it doesn’t really have practice questions. I’d definitely recommend it for general help for people applying to med though.

And, honestly, you've done a LOT of practice. I'd suggest doing the official UKCAT tests as well. It'll give you a feel of the actual test...
Original post by emmaK98
Hiya guys,

Hi emmaK98

I just saw your post, which was a few weeks ago now but I wondered how you are getting on with your UKCAT prep?

Do you have your test booked?

As I am sure you know, and you are doing already, it is all about practise, practise, practise! To give yourself the best chance of success you need to schedule yourself a regular timetable of practise in the weeks leading up to your test date. Ideally this would be about 4 hours a day. This can either be done as you are, using different resources or in the form of a UKCAT course. It is much better to do it in this way rather than trying to cram it in close to the time of your test.

I don't think you are spreading yourself too thin, it sounds as though you are just making sure you are well prepared by using lots of different resources, which is absolutely the right approach.

Try not to get worried. Yes, it is an important test but you are doing all the right things to put yourself in the best position possible. Stress won't help you on the day so really try to be confident in the preparation you are doing and go into your test. If you are well prepared, there is no reason to feel nervous.

You might be interested in this blog post which has some tips for getting yourself ready for the big day.

Do give me a shout if I can answer any questions for you.... always happy to help.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending