The Student Room Group

Maths and biology?

Im in year 12 thinking about uni options and currently want to do something with maths and biology, i found a two relevant courses, because apparently its a new and small course that leeds and southampton both do
Is it wise to do? Would it be frowned upon compared to a straight degree in one subject by emplyers? What can you actually do with it? Is it wise to choose such a small course, and how do i pick 5 ucas options if only 2 places do it
Could really use some advice
Original post by Suraj.k
Im in year 12 thinking about uni options and currently want to do something with maths and biology, i found a two relevant courses, because apparently its a new and small course that leeds and southampton both do
Is it wise to do? Would it be frowned upon compared to a straight degree in one subject by emplyers? What can you actually do with it? Is it wise to choose such a small course, and how do i pick 5 ucas options if only 2 places do it
Could really use some advice

Employers wont view it any differently but you wont have as many optional modules to take for each side

how do you mean small? if you mean as in class size then the course itself might be small but I know at leeds, you are taught along side other courses (straight maths, comp sci with maths, theoretical physics etc) for the maths modules so your lectures wont be small, I assume the biology side is the same

As for the ucas thing you could apply to other unis for straight maths/bio courses or natural sciences courses
Reply 2
Original post by madmadmax321
Employers wont view it any differently but you wont have as many optional modules to take for each side

how do you mean small? if you mean as in class size then the course itself might be small but I know at leeds, you are taught along side other courses (straight maths, comp sci with maths, theoretical physics etc) for the maths modules so your lectures wont be small, I assume the biology side is the same

As for the ucas thing you could apply to other unis for straight maths/bio courses or natural sciences courses

Smalls the wrong word, i mean that its a small course in the sense that not many uni's do it
Original post by Suraj.k
Smalls the wrong word, i mean that its a small course in the sense that not many uni's do it

I suppose its because not too many people want to do it and the ones that do could also just apply for natural sciences

Quick Reply

Latest