Caramel :)
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey, so I'm not sure if I've got my information wrong but why optical fibres (which use total internal reflection) does the fibre need to be narrow enough to keep the angle below the critical angle when in total internal relfection the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle?
Thanks and I hope someone can explain this to me
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Caramel :))
Hey, so I'm not sure if I've got my information wrong but why optical fibres (which use total internal reflection) does the fibre need to be narrow enough to keep the angle below the critical angle when in total internal relfection the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle?Thanks and I hope someone can explain this to me
I've moved this to the physics study help forum so that you can hopefully get an answer to this!
Teenie2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes .... in a way. You are right to say that the fibre needs to be narrow enough to maintain internal reflection, however, you normally would look at it in terms of what angle of light entering the fibre is acceptable. This would be called the acceptance cone of the fibre. You also have to consider how difficult it would be to splice together two very narrow fibres but on the other hand the thicker the fibre the less flexible it is.Have a look at these links, they might give you a better idea:-

https://www.pa.msu.edu/courses/2010f...iberOptics.pdf

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...20cone&f=false (Page 1-14 onwards)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (42)
47.19%
No, they should still go ahead (21)
23.6%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (26)
29.21%

Watched Threads