The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Current journalism student here to answer questions!

Just finished 1st year at Cardiff, lived in Talybont South. Willing to answer any questions no matter how small, wish I'd had the same last year!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm currently looking at Cardiff and City University London for 2017 entry and I have some questions.
1) Did you enjoy the first year of the course?
2) Did you feel like you missed out by not having a more practical course? (I've heard that Cardiff is 100% academic)
3) What made you choose Cardiff over other universities?
Thank you :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Hi! Yes I really enjoyed first year and felt I learnt a lot about the basis of journalism which was essential knowledge if you want to go into media. I don't feel like I missed out as I got involved with student media in order to get the practical side, this means you could write for a newspaper/magazine, host a radio show or do TV presenting. I chose Cardiff cause I loved the city and it's rated top for journalism in the country! I don't regret my choice at all! Let me know if you need any more details :smile:
Original post by journocardiff
Just finished 1st year at Cardiff, lived in Talybont South. Willing to answer any questions no matter how small, wish I'd had the same last year!

Hi, do you know if I need A-Levels to get into Journalism at Cardiff? I have BTEC grades.
Original post by JamesPorter
Hi, do you know if I need A-Levels to get into Journalism at Cardiff? I have BTEC grades.

Hi, I'm not 100% sure as I did A levels, but if you have a look at the website I believe it will have it on there, its definitely in the handbook they give out on open days, there's probably a copy online!!
Hi, did you have to have an interview for this course?
Original post by KellyMay14
Hi, did you have to have an interview for this course?

no there is no interview
For anyone? Sorry I'm just making sure I am prepared just in case haha
Original post by KellyMay14
For anyone? Sorry I'm just making sure I am prepared just in case haha

Nope there is no interview for any applicants for the school of journalism :smile:
Hi, firstly thank you doing this! It really helps people like me who are indecisive :smile:
I would like to know how much of the course is practical based - I heard from other threads that the Cardiff Journalism and Communications BA (the one I'm going for) is pretty theory based, so I was wondering if there are any practical modules, or other opportunities to get some practical experience?
Also, I'm an international student, so I'm quite unsure on the reputation of Cardiff Journalism and Cardiff Uni itself? I know that for Journalism it ranks highly in many sources, but the overall rankings are a bit lower compared to other applications of mine (I know rankings don't really matter, but it still concerns me). So I guess what I'm asking is what is the general consensus in Britain about Cardiff Uni, and how well is it regarded?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hyundojhee
Hi, firstly thank you doing this! It really helps people like me who are indecisive :smile:
I would like to know how much of the course is practical based - I heard from other threads that the Cardiff Journalism and Communications BA (the one I'm going for) is pretty theory based, so I was wondering if there are any practical modules, or other opportunities to get some practical experience?
Also, I'm an international student, so I'm quite unsure on the reputation of Cardiff Journalism and Cardiff Uni itself? I know that for Journalism it ranks highly in many sources, but the overall rankings are a bit lower compared to other applications of mine (I know rankings don't really matter, but it still concerns me). So I guess what I'm asking is what is the general consensus in Britain about Cardiff Uni, and how well is it regarded?

Hi! No problem at all, I wish I had had someone to answer my questions. Yes the course is very theory based, there are no practical elements, although there is plenty of opportunities to get involved with student media, we have Gair Rhydd newspaper, (google it and you can read an online version), Quench magazine, X press radio and CUTV so you can get your practical experience there which goes nicely with the course. The school of journalism is ranked 1st for journalism in the U.K. by the Guardian and it recently won best school in the university. The uni itself has a very good reputation in the UK, not as high as Oxford etc! But it is well respected, and are one of the most experienced with international students! The uni is also part of Russel Group which is a group of well respected uni's! I hope this helps let me know if you have anymore Q's!
Thank you so much! Really going to help me go through the 'happy dilemma' period of answering the offers. I still have Leeds and Sheffield to get an answer from, but right now Cardiff seems like the place to be!
Hi

What are the plans for students post degree - do they do masters for instance? Also what are industry links like for summer work experience? Is there opportunity to study abroad and how many do it? And how long did Cardiff take to make an offer?

Thx
Original post by Heliborus
Hi

What are the plans for students post degree - do they do masters for instance? Also what are industry links like for summer work experience? Is there opportunity to study abroad and how many do it? And how long did Cardiff take to make an offer?

Thx

Hi, many do post grads as Cardiff offer a few which are very good, have a look at the website for the courses, although many go off into industry and get jobs. We get emails about opportunities in summer and you can apply for them, Cardiff won't put you into a placement, its you that has to apply but I'm sure that's with all unis. We have a global opportunity centre where you can take placements abroad like one in India for marketing. Yes there is an opportunity in the second semester of the second year, many people do it. I know people going to Australia and America, I'd say a third of the course go? I can't remember how long it was, they were my last offer to come through but I can't remember the exact time span sorry
Thanks very much for the info ... which coincided with an offer from Cardiff - phew!
Original post by journocardiff
Hi, many do post grads as Cardiff offer a few which are very good, have a look at the website for the courses, although many go off into industry and get jobs. We get emails about opportunities in summer and you can apply for them, Cardiff won't put you into a placement, its you that has to apply but I'm sure that's with all unis. We have a global opportunity centre where you can take placements abroad like one in India for marketing. Yes there is an opportunity in the second semester of the second year, many people do it. I know people going to Australia and America, I'd say a third of the course go? I can't remember how long it was, they were my last offer to come through but I can't remember the exact time span sorry
Original post by Heliborus
Thanks very much for the info ... which coincided with an offer from Cardiff - phew!

Amazing! Accept it, best decision you'll make :smile:
Reply 16
Hi,
Thank you so much for answering all of these questions about Cardiff, it's my number one choice for university. What are you going on to do now that you've finished University? Are there plenty of opportunities out there? I'm confident about doing Journalism but I want to specifically focus on video-games journalism and I hope that Cardiff will help me get there. Is it really a great benefit doing the academic side despite the lack of practicality? Thank you so much, I'm calmer than ever before now!
Original post by gepugg
Hi,
Thank you so much for answering all of these questions about Cardiff, it's my number one choice for university. What are you going on to do now that you've finished University? Are there plenty of opportunities out there? I'm confident about doing Journalism but I want to specifically focus on video-games journalism and I hope that Cardiff will help me get there. Is it really a great benefit doing the academic side despite the lack of practicality? Thank you so much, I'm calmer than ever before now!

Hi, no problem! I've only just started second year so haven't finished yet, but there are lots of opportunities out there, especially as Cardiff offers a lot in terms of work experience and internships. Cardiff is well respected for journalism and employers seem to like that you've done the course, and with student media and other things they go very well together. I hope that helps?
Hi again, just a few more questions I would like to ask on non-study related stuff. Obviously the stereotype with university life is that you get much more freedom and time, or the stereotype is for me anyway. I was wondering how much 'free time' a journalism student would get? I do understand that self-study courses will mean managing your own time, but I'm just wondering how a daily life of a journalism student would look like?
Thank you once again for the replies, and I would like to wish everyone here a happy new years!
Original post by hyundojhee
Hi again, just a few more questions I would like to ask on non-study related stuff. Obviously the stereotype with university life is that you get much more freedom and time, or the stereotype is for me anyway. I was wondering how much 'free time' a journalism student would get? I do understand that self-study courses will mean managing your own time, but I'm just wondering how a daily life of a journalism student would look like?
Thank you once again for the replies, and I would like to wish everyone here a happy new years!

You get a lot of free time. During first year I was only in for 9 hours a week, leaving plenty of time to do the readings you are set. In second year I am in for 13 hours a week but again, am set readings from all 3 modules. Each week you will have a 2 hour lecture for each module (you have 3) and then an hour seminar, so 3 hours per module, this is spread out during the week but normally leaves you with at least one day off from Mon-Fri.

Quick Reply

Latest