The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i have no idea, but if you find out how, tell me!!!
Reply 2
Depends on your maths and english skills. I think its quite easy, if you can be bothered.
Reply 3
What's to stop you leaving it out if you fail it? None of the top universities take gs as part of your offer, in short, this subject doesn't matter, concentrate on your more important ones. Plenty of people just walk into the exam without revising for it.
Reply 4
cdm391
Anyone who has completed this dire compulsory AS course, could you tell me how easy it is to get a top grade?

hmm, well, we didn't really do a course in it, but i took the AS & A2 & got an A overall.

i didn't do any work for it, other than read through the specification,so had some idea what they'd ask questions on! you probably need to accept that some of the papers you'll naturally do better on than others..

..i went into the synoptic (which is 3 essays i think) determined to do well as i was pissed off with some of my AS module marks basically.. my second ever module marks below a B..lol. & in the AS 'scientific domain' which was somewhat odd as i got As in Biology, Chemistry & Physics as ASs.. mental note - disagreeing factually with their article on genetics rather than merely 'responding' to it wasn't a good idea'

apparently the subjects that'll help you with it are if you take biology, geography, economics & history. students doing those scored highest at my 6th form.

HTH
cdm391
Anyone who has completed this dire compulsory AS course, could you tell me how easy it is to get a top grade?

iwould say it was if you knew the technique.

i.e.
If a question asks you list 4 reasons or advantages/disadvantages then the best way to approach this, to get the highest mark would be to out:
list your reasons or;

a.
b.
c.
d.

this way you won't waffle,as general studies is all about getting to the point in a short matter of time.

For essay questions if it is something along the lines of "to what extent" then your answer must be BALANCED, or you'll only pick up half the marks at the most. Most essay questions will ask you to balance.

if you go on http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/asguru/ this will have everything you need to know on each topic. General studies isn't that difficult, it's more about originality and technique.

i hope this helps:smile:
Reply 6
general studies is a piss take, we had to stay back until 5.30 doing the A2 general studies exams in january. Furthermore, anyone who doesnt get around 90% in the AS modules in our school is forced to re-sit.

Consequently, i got 2/90 and 5/120 for 2/3 of my A2 general studies papers. I think the school realised at that point how unecessary general studies was for me since they didnt bother to enter me for any more retakes. (despite my overall U grade.)

Latest