Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm partially against LGBT does that make me a bad person? If so help me change watch

I Disagree with Transgender as its not the way nature intended, as If you are unhappy it can never be because of gender, There is another unhappiness inside of you that you don't understand possible past experience or envy.
    Conclusion: I 100% disagree

I partially disagree with Homosexuals as I believe it could be either a genetic or psychological issue with yourself and was not the way nature interned it to be, but at the same time I think its a great way to reduce the population a little bit and allows more children to become adopted.
    Conclusion: I 50% disagree and 50% agree

I partially disagree with Bi-sexuals as I believe its not the way nature intended it to be and also If in the end you mate with the opposite sex its okay.
    Conclusion: I 25% disagree and 75% agree

The extent to which I disagree with LGBT is just that I think its wrong but I wont act upon it.

I'm Completely open to other ideas of how I should view LGBT as I think it would help me grow as a person.

I decided to leave be anonymous so people don't send hate my way.

READ ALL BEFORE COMMENTING.

ReputationRep:
    I want to start by saying that it's really good that you're willing to explore your feelings about people who are LGBT+ and listen to other people's ideas too. I completely respect your choice to stay anonymous as well - I know this can be a difficult topic to talk about.

I’m hoping to suggest some questions to think about (in bold below) – there may be some repetition in different questions. I can't tell you how you should feel about certain people and I'm not here to do that, but I'm going to offer my thoughts as well – you can think about what you agree or disagree with. I’ve tried to make it clear when I’m giving my own opinion. My ideas might be useless but they might help you see a different angle or at least show where people who support the LGBT+ community are coming from. Also, a disclaimer that I am myself a member of the LGBT community, so I don't pretend to be unbiased at all.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I Disagree with Transgender as its not the way nature intended, as If you are unhappy it can never be because of gender, There is another unhappiness inside of you that you don't understand possible past experience or envy.
    Conclusion: I 100% disagree
    Firstly, I would encourage you to think about what you mean by “the way nature intended”. How does nature intend for us to be?

Personally, I would say that there are lots of things people do that change their “natural” body – people get piercings or tattoos or dye their hair, for instance. They can also change their body for medical reasons – such as getting a metal screw to hold a broken joint together. I don’t think they’re wrong for doing this and changing their body from what was “natural”. In the same way, I don’t think that transgender people are wrong just for existing and making any changes that they feel they need, whether that be to their body or their lifestyle, to make themselves happier.

Next, I would suggest you think about why you think people can’t be unhappy because of their gender, and also why you think transgender people have to be “unhappy”.

Personally, I can see why you might think that people can’t be unhappy because of their gender - it's a completely alien idea to me that I could ever feel like something other than happy with the gender I was given when I was born. I think that this makes it hard for cisgender people (those who aren't transgender) to understand what transgender people are going through when they question the gender they were assigned when they were born. But that doesn't mean that what they're feeling is any less valid a feeling.

For example, I haven't ever lost a close family member, so I can't imagine what that sort of feeling of grief is. That doesn't mean I don't do my best to support friends who are grieving, or tell them that they shouldn’t feel sad. I've not been depressed, but I try my best to support friends who are going depression. In the same way, although gender dysphoria (a word with various definitions - it generally means not feeling like the gender you were assigned at birth is your correct gender) isn’t something I’ve experienced, it doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t support friends who are going through it and realising what their true gender is. All of these feelings, whether about yourself and your gender, or people you've lost etc., are not my feelings to feel. They are the feelings of an individual, and I don't think I can say how and why people are allowed to feel these things. As such, I think that if someone says that they feel unhappiness from the gender they were given when they were born not aligning with the gender they know they are, I should accept this and support them through it.

Another thing to be aware of is that not all transgender people do experience feelings of unhappiness – another term is gender euphoria, which describes the feeling of happiness that people can feel when affirmed in the gender that they are. Experiences are different for everyone, but there are some transgender people who do feel gender euphoria.

Just a note to say that I am not transgender myself and so if people who are transgender have different ideas/opinions/ways of saying things to me, definitely listen to them (they're the experts!).

I partially disagree with Homosexuals as I believe it could be either a genetic or psychological issue with yourself and was not the way nature interned it to be, but at the same time I think its a great way to reduce the population a little bit and allows more children to become adopted.
    Conclusion: I 50% disagree and 50% agree
    Why does the cause of people’s sexual orientation affect your opinion on it?

Personally, I do not think that I’ve seen enough evidence for a genetic cause etc. for feeling attraction to the same gender. That said, I admit I’ve never gone looking particularly hard for it. Still, I don’t think that if it did have a cause, it would make it a bad thing. We’ve evolved as we have by our body making genetic mistakes when copying DNA, but just because the causes are “mistakes”, I wouldn’t call evolution a bad thing. In the same way, if there was a genetic/psychological cause for same-gender attraction, I wouldn’t think that that invalidates how people feel or makes it bad. We can’t necessarily change the causes of something but we can change and choose how we respond to it. For me, the most important part is not why they feel as they do, but the fact that they do feel attracted towards people of the same gender and this should be respected.

What does nature intend for us? I can understand that some people see the “natural” pairing as only a heterosexual couple. In this case, I would encourage you to explore your thoughts of why this is.

Personally, I would say that many people think that only heterosexual couples are “natural” because they see only heterosexual couples as able to have children. I find this quite a difficult argument. Firstly, it ignores the existence of transgender people in relationships. Secondly, it ignores the fact that there are people who are unable to have children. Critics of people in gay relationships do not apply their criticism to those heterosexual couples who, often through no fault of their own, are unable to conceive. Additionally, nowadays people often wait longer before they start a family. There are many people don’t want to have children at all, especially with the population issues you mentioned. Does this invalidate their relationships or make their feelings for each other any less strong than the feelings of people who can have children?

I partially disagree with Bi-sexuals as I believe its not the way nature intended it to be and also If in the end you mate with the opposite sex its okay.
    Conclusion: I 25% disagree and 75% agree
    What does nature intend for us? What about people who can’t have children?

This is similar to what I said above.

Why is it only okay if bisexual people end up with a partner of a different gender?

Personally, I would say that this suggests an attitude of “everything is okay as long as you don’t end up in a same-gender relationship”. I think it can suggest that people see bisexual people as people who are gay for a bit and straight for a bit, as if they flick a switch between the two, and are only allowed to end up straight. The issue then sounds like a problem with people ultimately being in same-gender relationships – which I talked about above. In reality, many people feel the different types of attraction at the same time. For me, certainly, it isn’t the case that my same-gender attraction goes away if I’m in a relationship with someone of a different gender.

The extent to which I disagree with LGBT is just that I think its wrong but I wont act upon it.

I'm Completely open to other ideas of how I should view LGBT as I think it would help me grow as a person.

I decided to leave be anonymous so people don't send hate my way.

READ ALL BEFORE COMMENTING.
    Ultimately, LGBT+ people are people. You do not get to choose whether they are allowed to exist. They are not here to ask for you to agree with them – they are people who have a right to live, and exist as they are, and love just as much as you do.

I’m still very glad that you’re open to thinking in different ways and examining your opinions. I really hope I haven’t come off as arguing or standoffish here – I really don’t want to be rude or insult your opinions. I just want to share my thoughts and help you think about the origins of your opinions. I hope that some of this has been useful and you can use it to inform your attitudes to LGBT+ people however you see fit. I understand changing opinions is hard, but even thinking about where they come from is a good step. Even if you disagree completely with my personal thoughts, please do consider the questions – I’d be really interested to hear your thoughts, if you felt like sharing them.

ReputationRep:
    Medicines, vaccinations and surgery are all unnatural. Are you against them too?
    What about people using computers? They're unnatural. TSR isn't natural. Wearing clothes isn't either.

Funny you say homosexuality is unnatural though.

Natural (adj) - "existing in or derived from nature; not made or caused by humankind."

Tons of animals display homosexual behaviour, some even more then humans. So ironically this is more "natural" then any of those things you do.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Honestly, the "natural" agreement holds no ground whatsoever.

It definitely doesn't make you a bad person because imo. I don't see hate.
    it's just disagreement tbh. As long as you don't patronise someone for being of the LGBT you are a awesome in my books.

ReputationRep:
    I like the fact you voice your opinions, good for you. Sexuality is not a choice, I assume your heterosexual, you probably did not choose to be heterosexual just like I did not choose to have black hair. I want you to understand that homosexuality, bisexuality and the entire spectrum of the LGBT community does not have a mental illness due to the gender of the person they will fall in love with. I know you hear this a lot, but if you disagree, it might be best to keep it to yourself as people tend to get offended with these kind of things, especially that you called it ‘unnatural’, it is simply gender, when has gender played such a large role in the human mind? It honestly hasn’t, society made gender seem as if it were the biggest thing in the universe and till this day, there is still inequality between many genders, (yes, many), there are only two sexes but there are many genders. I know you disagree with this, but it is a fact you have to face. The sex you were born with is the one you are comfortable with and that’s cool, but some people are not comfortable with the sex they were born with, and that is again cool. I know this may not change your mind, but it is life, whether you agree with it or not, not all people are straight and cis-sexual, and that is okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nature, as much as it is marvelous and beautiful, can be just as disgusting and idiotic. To use it as the standard of all things without applying it to specific situations is clearly not rational.

It's like mixing the majesty of the human body and of forests to cutting of the male's head and 'raping' the sake species (referring to animals in this case). Both are natural in the sense of the word (ie occurring prima facie), but to place them under the umbrella of "nature" is disturbing. Besides, TVs, washing machines, iPhones and whatnot are not 'natural', but the result of human brilliance superseding (or at least getting detached from) nature.

Now, that said, homosexuality is, strictly speaking, natural, for it exists in animals just as it exists in humans. But this is meaningless. It should make no difference if it were a choice, made by someone in a single second. It does not affect you, nor does it in any way affect society at whole in a negative way. It's just one person loving another. What's the big deal with the gender of the parties? Same goes to transsexuals. It's non of our business what they do with their lives. We all live once, and it only follows that we should do whatever makes us happy. To think that some people are willing to oppress such individuals because of their own beliefs and deprive their right to happiness is egregious.

In that sense, you don't exactly have to force yourself to be happy with homosexuals or transsexuals or whatnot. You simply have to keep the negativity to yourself (not saying that you're negative per se, just generally). If people did that, this world would have truly been a much, much better place to live in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe just mind your own business

ReputationRep:
    Why are you making a judgement in the first place? If people aren't harming you then let them do whatever they want and withhold judgement. It's not natural for us to do a lot of things we do, who cares?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.