Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whether you are for or against Brexit, clearly there is an undercurrent of xenophobia watch

ReputationRep:
    For the record, I am for Brexit, I am also an ethnic minority. However, the cynical side of me tells me that vast numbers of Brexiters use the "out" campaign/vote as a veiled way of targeting minorities and foreigners.

I cannot help but think that the same types of people that vote Brexit are those that say "Nah" whenever they see a minority's CV, or whenever they see a minority arrive at a job interview. The "out" vote is a perfect outlet for their xenophobia and racism, and they simply have no idea or care about things like why the EU Commission having so much power is madness. All I keep hearing about from these people is immigration numbers and foreigners taking jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Are you trying to make me feel guilty as a Brexitter?
    So what if I am xenophobic?
    I do not want the doors of my country open any more than I want the doors of my house open.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    There are plenty of Brexiters who aren't 'xenophobic' or whatever. However there are plenty who are too. I've never read a argument for remaining in the EU that disgusted me. But I've read some utterly horrific stuff written by Brexiters. It's a shame that their voice is so loud. We could have a very interesting debate otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    That is why supporting Brexit is so dangerous, the loudest voices of that movement don't have a vision for the UK, just fear and for them anything is better than immigrants. As soon as they won't have the EU to blame, they will blame the minorities already with a UK passport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    That is why supporting Brexit is so dangerous, the loudest voices of that movement don't have a vision for the UK, just fear and for them anything is better than immigrants. As soon as they won't have the EU to blame, they will blame the minorities already with a UK passport.

Exactly this, while Brexit in itself may not be a bad idea, it is the danger that the loudest voices of the movement as you say are just looking for someone/something to blame. Sure, there are many Brexiters who have looked carefully into the political and economic arguments and have an informed stance. However, under the right wing umbrella there are many who are simply bandwagoning in xenophobia, they perceive the European immigrants right now as the people to blame for the economic and social problems. Tomorrow who is to say that they won't blame anyone who is Asian, Muslim, Chinese... you know, it is entirely plausible when the country is scraping the barrel economically and the government needs a scapegoat to save its own skin.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.