Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduating in a year - Stressing about paying rent after Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, Pretty much I've been crunching some numbers recently which makes me worry about being able to pay rent after I graduate.

I signed on to another year's lease with my current landlord way back in November last year (He seemed pretty pushy and pretty much said he would start viewings if we didn't know if we were staying for another year or not, so we signed it), and the lease ends at the start of august each year. Currently in the flat is myself and my boyfriend who are both students.

Reflecting on that, I'm starting to worry about how I'm going to afford the rent after I graduate, as it leaves three months over summer where I would be susceptible to paying it. I also thought there was a break clause, but I reread it and apparently, there's not.

On top of the rent and bills, there's also the hefty council tax to pay, and going on the dole till I either find a general job (which so far as looking as a student has been impossible), or a job relating to my field, doesn't even cover my rent per month. I have no idea what's going to happen next year, so I don't want to be relying on managing to secure an okay paying job before I graduate.

I've been reading up that the landlord can agree to let us go, but I doubt most landlords would do that. I could also find people to take up our lease, but then that isn't guaranteed.

I will have some money left over from my student loan/grant, but that will not last the entire summer, especially if council tax has to be paid.

Is there any advice on what I should be doing/can do, or has anyone been in a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    Until you find a job you'll have to sign onto JSA. Absolutely no shame in that, that's precisely what job seekers is there for, people like you!

Don't you get help with your rent if you've signed on, and also in regards to council tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Until you find a job you'll have to sign onto JSA. Absolutely no shame in that, that's precisely what job seekers is there for, people like you!
    I'm totally fine with that - However it won't even cover just the rent for my current lease. I've searched for jobs for several months before giving up while I've been at Uni, so I'm apprehensive about finding a job quickly to simply pay the rent for those last three months.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What is it you wnat to do? Sta on or get rid of the liability?

Get rid, just find someone else and hen offer them as a replacement. You shoyldnt sign contracts without reading them. he may or may not agree and he may or may not seek to make up some £ charge. If you have trouble with your LL ring Shelter or CAB.

If you intend on staying then you have ti find a new source of income i.e a job.

If you get a p/t job then you cna try claiming tax credits as well as housing benefit. You might also get CT reduction if you are on a low income. It takes time to get processed.

If you have no job, then sign on as soon as you finish your course. You will get JSA, H Benefit and CT(exemption). It takes time to process and I think you have to wait 4 days before your claim becomes active. It may also now be all universal credit.

If you nat afford then rent then I would move home. the time to get a replacement student is now really whilst there are still people looking. the closer it gets to freshers the harder it will become.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semizelda)
    I'm totally fine with that - However it won't even cover just the rent for my current lease. I've searched for jobs for several months before giving up while I've been at Uni, so I'm apprehensive about finding a job quickly to simply pay the rent for those last three months.
    Time to resume the job hunt, even if its only part time which will then cover a big chuck of the rent.

I doubt your 12 month fixed tenancy would have a break clause, especially for student housing where it is unlikely the landlord could fill the property mid-term.

As others have said; benefits are available for a reason and you should be seeking to claim everything you're entitled to.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    If you do go on to JSA and get help with council tax and rent, you may have to still pay some council tax and rent. If this is the case, you can ask to pay the council tax over 12 months, instead of 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semizelda)
    Hi everyone, Pretty much I've been crunching some numbers recently which makes me worry about being able to pay rent after I graduate.

I signed on to another year's lease with my current landlord way back in November last year (He seemed pretty pushy and pretty much said he would start viewings if we didn't know if we were staying for another year or not, so we signed it), and the lease ends at the start of august each year. Currently in the flat is myself and my boyfriend who are both students.

Reflecting on that, I'm starting to worry about how I'm going to afford the rent after I graduate, as it leaves three months over summer where I would be susceptible to paying it. I also thought there was a break clause, but I reread it and apparently, there's not.

On top of the rent and bills, there's also the hefty council tax to pay, and going on the dole till I either find a general job (which so far as looking as a student has been impossible), or a job relating to my field, doesn't even cover my rent per month. I have no idea what's going to happen next year, so I don't want to be relying on managing to secure an okay paying job before I graduate.

I've been reading up that the landlord can agree to let us go, but I doubt most landlords would do that. I could also find people to take up our lease, but then that isn't guaranteed.

I will have some money left over from my student loan/grant, but that will not last the entire summer, especially if council tax has to be paid.

Is there any advice on what I should be doing/can do, or has anyone been in a similar situation?
    Your uni careers service should be able to help you with part time job applications

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.