Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i need to pick two books for my english coursework. the first one i chose was Journeys end (if you've heard of it) i need another. Can you think of any books that have the following themes:
    1)friendship
    2)War
    3) Mental health
    4)Depression
    5) any other good book you have read (for "light" reading over summer hoildays-set by my teacher)

i was thinking of great expectations???

what do ya think???? HELP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahollisan)
    i need to pick two books for my english coursework. the first one i chose was Journeys end (if you've heard of it) i need another. Can you think of any books that have the following themes:
    1)friendship
    2)War
    3) Mental health
    4)Depression
    5) any other good book you have read (for "light" reading over summer hoildays-set by my teacher)

Birdsong by Sebastien Faulks would work, erm All quiet on the western front by Gabriel Remarque somebody...cant think of any more...oh yeah regeneration i think although ive never read it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahollisan)
    1)friendship
    2)War
    3) Mental health
    4)Depression

When i did English Literature AS level we had to something like this with these themes one book that has this is the regeneration by Pat Barker.

ReputationRep:
    For war, try Charlotte Gray or Birdsong, both by sebastian Faulks.

Any of the booker prize winners are pretty good, (Vernon God little, The god of small things, The life of Pi).

Also good are The Glass Palace (Ghosh), The curious Incident of the Dog at nighttime (Haddon), The Birth of Venus (Dunant), girl with a pearl earring (Chevalier).

At the moment I'm reading the Rice Mother (Rani Manicka), by far the most moving book, but possibly because I identify more with it. The book has friendship, family and war as themes.

ReputationRep:
    For 1,2,3 and 4: Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy or Joseph Heller's Catch 22, which covers all five.

ReputationRep:
    ahhhh the memories of english literature A2 war synoptic for which i read a whole load of WW1 themed books. if you want your comparison to be war based try the ones everyone else has suggested. another thought is 'captain correli's mandolin' which is based during WW2 and is novel form, romantic type-thing so it would contrast well with 'journey's end' being WW1, a play and a comedy.

ReputationRep:
    For depression/mental health issues:

_Monkey's Uncle_ by Jenny Diski
    _Virgin Suicides_ by Jeffrey Eugenides
    _Faces in the Water_by Janet Frame
    _The Trick is to Keep Breathing_ by Janice Galloway
    _The Passion of Alice_ by Stephanie Grant
    _I Never Promised You a Rose Garden_ by Hannah Green
    _One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest_ by Ken Kesey
    _Briefing for a Descent Into Hell_ by Doris Lessing
    _Eve's Apple_ by Jonathan Rosen
    _The Catcher in the Rye_ by J.D. Salinger
    _LifeSize_ by Jenefer Shute
    _The Bell Jar_ by Sylvia Plath

--

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    For depression/mental health issues:

_Monkey's Uncle_ by Jenny Diski
    _Virgin Suicides_ by Jeffrey Eugenides
    _Faces in the Water_by Janet Frame
    _The Trick is to Keep Breathing_ by Janice Galloway
    _The Passion of Alice_ by Stephanie Grant
    _I Never Promised You a Rose Garden_ by Hannah Green
    _One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest_ by Ken Kesey
    _Briefing for a Descent Into Hell_ by Doris Lessing
    _Eve's Apple_ by Jonathan Rosen
    _The Catcher in the Rye_ by J.D. Salinger
    _LifeSize_ by Jenefer Shute
    _The Bell Jar_ by Sylvia Plath

--
    Which would you recommend out of the list?

ReputationRep:
    War (off the top of my head)

All Quiet On The Western Front Erich Maria Remarque
    Homage to catalonia George Orwell
    A Farewell to Arms Ernest Hemingway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Which would you recommend out of the list?
    Ooh, you want me to choose. Okay, if I were only allowed to re-read one, it would be The Bell Jar. Not necessarily because of the quality of the writing (Sylvia Plath herself dismissed it as a 'potboiler') but because Esther was the protagonist I could most identify with.

ReputationRep:
    But I feel that Janice Galloway captures the mental disintegration involved in psychosis most accurately (and terrifingly).

ReputationRep:
    Nineteen Eighty Four. George Orwell.

No Questions Asked.

ReputationRep:
    In my school all you have to do is let a teacher glimpse a copy of 'The Catcher in the Rye' and they're suddenly impressed.
    'She's reading Catcher in the Rye'
    'Cathcher in the Rye? That's a good book'
    I don't know if it would be the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggysqueak)
    In my school all you have to do is let a teacher glimpse a copy of 'The Catcher in the Rye' and they're suddenly impressed.
    'She's reading Catcher in the Rye'
    'Cathcher in the Rye? That's a good book'
    I don't know if it would be the same.
    I want to read that, and to kill a mockingbird. It's on my ever lengthening list of books to read...in the near future

ReputationRep:
    A good one is Times Arrow. A bit about the war, kinda about an insane guy, some serious depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    For war, try Charlotte Gray or Birdsong, both by sebastian Faulks.

Any of the booker prize winners are pretty good, (Vernon God little, The god of small things, The life of Pi).

Also good are The Glass Palace (Ghosh), The curious Incident of the Dog at nighttime (Haddon), The Birth of Venus (Dunant), girl with a pearl earring (Chevalier).

At the moment I'm reading the Rice Mother (Rani Manicka), by far the most moving book, but possibly because I identify more with it. The book has friendship, family and war as themes.
    I've read Vernon God Little and the Curious Incident of the the Dog in the Nighttime, and would heartily recommend them both.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.