The Student Room Group

Pc is better than console

Scroll to see replies

HA,

PC>XBone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>N- Gage>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>......PS4.
Original post by MemeChildPL
pc is better than console in many ways:

-keyboard and mouse for precision accuracy
-more mature community
-1080p to 4K display
-waay faster
-cheaper games
-no need to pay for xbox live
-mods
-WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more games

if a game is £40 for xbox, its on Steam for £15

go ahead, xbox fanboys, send me worthless hate.

Note before you read im not a hater just giving an opinion

1. I prefer to use controllers
2. mature community, why is that an advantage?
3. 4k costs too much money and I am happy with the resolution on the ps4 (though yes pc resolution is better, it just isnt a big factor for me)
4. faster for what? playing games on any console isnt any slower than pc from what i have noticed
5. older games may be cheaper but from what I understand new releases are still 30-40 pounds and the start up costs of a pc are much higher especially if you want the 4k benefits you mentioned and if you dont then pc vs console arguement becomes a lot weaker
6. cant argue with that :smile: (unless you play single player only of course but most people dont)
7. not bothered about having mods tbh (but this may be because I have never used them myself before)
8. true but I only tend to play mainstream games

the last statement isnt normally true, I have never paid more than £28 for a game :smile: you only really pay high prices if you buy brand new releases

an advantage for console is you can sell on your games (if you finish a game quick enough this will mean the high price of new releases doesnt effect you)

an advantage for PC against ps4 for me is you can play much older games on it

so overall for me ps4 is great and I dont have any urge to play pc games yet
Original post by Drunk Punx
Of course. But why do you think that the PC gamers pwned the console gamers in that match that I have no idea about yet people always bring up between the two? Pointing and clicking is easier.

When you "stick wiggle", as you say (I have no idea what it's actually called, so we'll go with it for that reason and because it's quite amusing), you feel the game; you turn with the game, you look with the game, and you aim with the game. When you point and click you... point and click. It's not that different to using a gun at an arcade, aside from the lack of pointing at a screen. I've explained it badly, but you catch my drift right?

Point being, it takes more skill to use a controller than it does to point and click.

I disagree. It is easier to display a moderate level of skill using a point and click (given most people can use a PC) than it is via stick wiggling (because many people haven't used a controller). And I do agree that you have vastly superior control with a KB+M rather than a controller. But I don't think that means one is necessarily more difficult than the other to excel at.

I mean just look at counterstrike where people are one shot headshot killing people whose eyebrows have appeared in a window 100m away that I wouldn't have been able to find if you gave me 5 minutes.

At the extreme end, both perform at levels I could only dream of and I feel without being able to play either, let alone both.

Anyway, I'm kinda rambling, but to be better with a KB+M than someone with a controller is easy, but to be the best with either (against people using the same) I think is probably similar in terms of difficulty.
Original post by sleepysnooze

PS4 is free, m8

I don't really wish to get involved in a PC vs Console fight here, but no it isn't.

If you want to play online you need PS+ on PS4, same as Xbox. You don't on PS3.

Although it's also worth noting that Gold and PS+ Give like 36-48 games a year away for free. Or something like that. Granted whether you'll want to play half those games is another matter, but it's not just a fee to play online anymore.
Original post by madmadmax321

3. 4k costs too much money and I am happy with the resolution on the ps4 (though yes pc resolution is better, it just isnt a big factor for me)
4. faster for what? playing games on any console isnt any slower than pc from what i have noticed
5. older games may be cheaper but from what I understand new releases are still 30-40 pounds and the start up costs of a pc are much higher especially if you want the 4k benefits you mentioned and if you dont then pc vs console arguement becomes a lot weaker
6. cant argue with that :smile: (unless you play single player only of course but most people dont)
7. not bothered about having mods tbh (but this may be because I have never used them myself before)

the last statement isnt normally true, I have never paid more than £28 for a game :smile: you only really pay high prices if you buy brand new releases

an advantage for console is you can sell on your games (if you finish a game quick enough this will mean the high price of new releases doesnt effect you)

Tbf, you can get pretty much all newly released PC games for £25-30, often being on sale for £15-20 within their first 3-6 months. Granted, console games plummet in price also these days, especially ones that are bundled with consoles (although they are often exclusives).

Loading screen advantages are not to be underestimated in some games also I might add.

You make a valid point though, that if you want to game at 4k, rather than 1080p, you're talking easily a £1200 rig if not more. You could buy 4-5 PS4s for that money. You'd need to buy a LOT of games to make up that difference assuming £10 a game. Hell, up it to £20 a game difference and you're still talking 40-50 games you'd need to buy (at full retail price).

I suspect the xbox is about to get a lot less competitive if microsoft are going to commit to sharing exclusives across xbox and PC.
The thing I like is better than the thing you like.

'True gamers' have all of the consoles, PCs and games, right?

PC is fine but it doesn't have the Playstation exclusives, those are awesome.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
PC gamers are always so insecure about their precious computers. lol. keyboard and mouse is trash and ruins the gaming experience.
I would say PC gaming is much better, but A controller is sometimes more beneficial, for example I would smash people on bf3 with a heli and plane when using a controller, but when using a keyboard a mouse I was completely useless :smile:

The console industry shot themselves in the foot when they launch ps4 and xbox one by advertising "The closest to PC performance", which prompted everyone to start gaming more on PC :smile:

I wouldn't disregard console they're great for multiplayer e.g lego batman with your brother etc. :smile:

but for competitive game play, performance and graphics quality a PC always wins
The last of us, Uncharted Series, Horizon Zero Dawn?

1. You can use any control you want on PC :smile:! I use xbox one controller for FIFA. Mouse accuracy is undeniably better than controller.
2. Less kids who apparently f.. my mum? Less raging idiots?
3. 4k prices are dropping A LOT and nowadays are quite affordable
4. Faster meaning availability of SSDs which are really cheap nowadays
5. What? Noo.. New games are still cheaper on PC
6. idk what the point was
7. Mods = more enjoyment from the game. You can change everything starting from graphics and models.
Original post by ICEN_Prophet
1. You can use any control you want on PC :smile:! I use xbox one controller for FIFA. Mouse accuracy is undeniably better than controller.
2. Less kids who apparently f.. my mum? Less raging idiots?
3. 4k prices are dropping A LOT and nowadays are quite affordable
4. Faster meaning availability of SSDs which are really cheap nowadays
5. What? Noo.. New games are still cheaper on PC
6. idk what the point was
7. Mods = more enjoyment from the game. You can change everything starting from graphics and models.

1. Not all PC games support controller (even if the console version does). Bioware are particularly notorious for not allowing controller use with their PC ports, however there are plenty of other examples. Regardless, if you're only going to use controller, why bother with PC?
2. I try to only play with friends on both, but PC gamers are often just as childish and toxic. Just look at League of Legends which is notoriously toxic.
3. You are joking right? I have a 970 and it won't run 4k. If you want decent 4k you are at minimum looking at a £500 card, however realistically you'll probably want to SLI them bringing you to £1000 before you've even added in the rest of the computer.
4. Again, SSDs are cheaper, but you're still talking a 250gb SSD vs a 3-4TB HDD. If you want a decent sized SSD for gaming it's going to set you back a good few £100's. Also it's been time and time again shown that SSDs offer little to nothing in terms of gaming speed. It at bests lowers loading times in certain loading heavy games.
5. As previously stated, even assuming you save £10 a game, you would need to buy about 80-100 games for the price difference to balance out.
6. -
7. I honestly rarely bother with mods as unless the game is super popular they fall out of date very quickly, plus it's also difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. They are a nice bonus for some games though (notably Elder Scrolls/Fallout).

Ultimately if you want to throw £1000 at a rig that's your call, but it's not for everyone and the benefits aren't as amazing as most people like to make out unless you're really focused on your games looking pretty (which most people aren't). Or you like a mouse + keyboard ofc.
LMAO £1000 LMAO
Go check some facts and come back dude..
You're retarded, my conversation with you has just finished. bye!

if you ever want to play properly competitive challenging gaming, PC is the one, I've gone 54-0 on battlefield on xbox, I could never get that without someone killing me on PC, the gameplay is just harder and more challenging :smile:
100% agreed.

Besides, consoles can't play Arma 3 or Dota 2 :u:
PC Gaming certainly has plenty of advantages over consoles but it's not a one way street.

PC Gaming Pros -
High FPS (I'm a traditionally console gamer but the difference between 30 & 60 FPS is amazing)

Superior Graphics (1440p/4K can't be done by consoles yet)

General performance - even a 7200rpm HDD is quicker than a console's. SSDs are far superior.

Mods (although this seems to be less relevant these days)

More controller options (joysticks, PS4/PS3, Xbox controllers are usable without too much effort 99% of the time). Personally I hate KB/M for for most FPS/RPG/Third Person games. I use my PS4 controller instead. But for RTS KB/M is unbeatable. For flight sims its a combo of a joystick & KB/M.

Virtual Reality, Track IR, Eye Track soft/hardware

Generally cheaper games & decent backwards compatibility

Versatility - your gaming PC can also download, browse, stream, photo/video edit, word process far better than any console.

No on-line gaming cost

Console Gaming Pros -
Much cheaper set-up costs especially as you'll almost certainly have a TV already. Consoles do tend to last at least 5yrs before a replacement comes along. As a PC gamer, you want to stay at the top, you need a new GPU & CPU every couple of years.

Offline Multiplayer - I've also been a massive fan of Split-Screen gaming. It's a shame it seems to be dying a slow death though.

Plug & Play - the feeling of a game just working straight out of the box is great. Unfortunately Day One patches seem to be common so this occurs less. Still, you're far more likely to encounter issues while gaming on PC than console.

Optimisation - Consoles may seem underpowered but as the games are optimised to run on them it's not as big a difference as what is sometimes made out. Uncharted 4, for example, puts all but the best/most modern PC games to shame in terms of graphics.

Some versatility - Consoles can't compete with the PC here but most offer Netflix, Amazon Prime TV, Iplayer etc. Blu-Ray capability is included as standard in the latest generation.

Size/Weight - Unless you've deliberately built yourself a Micro/Mini ITX machine, the consoles are far more ergonomic. Having a PS4/Xbox in your lounge is a lot more practical than a monster gaming PC.

Less cheating/hacking - The PS4/XB1 are still unbroken & therefore cheating/modding/hacking is much rarer than on PC.

Summary:
If you're a really casual gamer than a non-gaming cheapish laptop will do you fine.
If you're a midrange gamer a console will suit you best in my opinion but you could also consider a midrange PC.
If you're more interested in high end gaming then a PC is absolutely the best.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MemeChildPL
-more mature community

Good joke.
Original post by Elivercury
I disagree. It is easier to display a moderate level of skill using a point and click (given most people can use a PC) than it is via stick wiggling (because many people haven't used a controller). And I do agree that you have vastly superior control with a KB+M rather than a controller. But I don't think that means one is necessarily more difficult than the other to excel at.

I mean just look at counterstrike where people are one shot headshot killing people whose eyebrows have appeared in a window 100m away that I wouldn't have been able to find if you gave me 5 minutes.

At the extreme end, both perform at levels I could only dream of and I feel without being able to play either, let alone both.

Anyway, I'm kinda rambling, but to be better with a KB+M than someone with a controller is easy, but to be the best with either (against people using the same) I think is probably similar in terms of difficulty.

Whilst I agree with you, I'm not talking about the skill of the individual; I'm talking about the how the usage of the controller interacts with the game (which is why I said you "feel" the game more when playing with a controller) compared to the unfeeling way a mouse interacts with it.

The skill of the individual user is completely by the by, but as per the PC vs Xbox game that happened, even though I presume the players of each were at a similar skill level (would be kinda rigged otherwise) the PC users still pwned because using a mouse is so much easier (and therefore, by correlation, takes less skill to use) than a controller.
Luckily my brother has a PS4 so I was able to buy and play The Last Of Us. But completely agree, if you've got the cash to splash then PC is the way forward.
I play on a PC but I enjoy consoles too.

However due to my World of Warcraft allegiance. Will always be PC master race :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest