Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey bro, just wanted to ask what your PS looks like? I'm in the process of fining the little details of mine for Computing/Comp Sci at Leicester also. It's not the most competitive as the entry requirements show (ABB/BBB or BBC with EPQ) so I reckon if my personal statement bangs I can get an unconditional like you. Please help me out and give me some advice before I submit it to UCAS. Sorry for answering this a year late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    Hey bro, just wanted to ask what your PS looks like? I'm in the process of fining the little details of mine for Computing/Comp Sci at Leicester also. It's not the most competitive as the entry requirements show (ABB/BBB or BBC with EPQ) so I reckon if my personal statement bangs I can get an unconditional like you. Please help me out and give me some advice before I submit it to UCAS. Sorry for answering this a year late
    I got a conditional offer as a mature student for CompSci with a year abroad starting this year. I basically just waffled about the little bit of VB programming I've done and how I was really keen to learn more. I also mentioned about working and being used to hitting targets and deadlines as well.

They might look a things a bit differently for school leavers but they waved the GCSE Maths requirements for me so I don't think it's very hard to get an offer from them. They said that they teach the courses assuming no prior knowledge anyway so I think it's just a case of getting across that you're keen to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I got a conditional offer as a mature student for CompSci with a year abroad starting this year. I basically just waffled about the little bit of VB programming I've done and how I was really keen to learn more. I also mentioned about working and being used to hitting targets and deadlines as well.

They might look a things a bit differently for school leavers but they waved the GCSE Maths requirements for me so I don't think it's very hard to get an offer from them. They said that they teach the courses assuming no prior knowledge anyway so I think it's just a case of getting across that you're keen to learn.
    Does having lower entry requirements usually mean its a really bad course or is that not true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    Does having lower entry requirements usually mean its a really bad course or is that not true?
    Not necessarily. I know League tables can be unreliable but their CompSci course is usually ranked similarly to the uni as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    I'm not sure about your course specifically, but lower entry requirements don't mean anything in terms of course quality. Coventry is my insurance and got loads of high scores for stuff and was 15 on the league table I think (above quite a few russel groups) but my offer from them was only BBB.

Higher entry requirements are mainly just a ploy to make certain unis look better than others even when they're not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.