The Student Room Group

Laxatives?

So I haven't had a proper **** for like a week because of some medication I was on causing a bit of a blockage. I've got some laxatives here and it says "take 2 before bed", but I'm not really sure what effect it'll have.

Will it just make me **** better the next day? Is it safe to take them if I'm going out the next day or will I end up *****ing my pants? It seems like when you see laxatives on TV people will take them and end up with the shits, don't know if this is how it really works or not
Exactly what laxatives will do will depend on the type you have and the dose you're taking. You probably won't get the comedy shits if you take them as prescribed by your doctor. The problems only really kick in if you take them without medical supervision.

Here's the NHS choices article about them:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/laxatives/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I haven't had a proper **** for like a week because of some medication I was on causing a bit of a blockage. I've got some laxatives here and it says "take 2 before bed", but I'm not really sure what effect it'll have.

Will it just make me **** better the next day? Is it safe to take them if I'm going out the next day or will I end up *****ing my pants? It seems like when you see laxatives on TV people will take them and end up with the shits, don't know if this is how it really works or not

It depends what laxatives you have. There are some designed to completely empty your bowels (like for before surgery or something) and some to just loosen things up (everyday kinda thing) and anywhere inbetween. If they say to take before bed I expect they aren't going to be too violent. I'd probably avoid big outings or anything just incase you have a more substantial reaction than expected, but I don't think it will be too bad. Just take it as it says and don't go out or anything until you have a feel of how it's working for you. You're not going to get anything too strong just over the counter (i assume that's how you got them) so don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest