Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (First of all I'm not studying anything at the moment, I'm a retail assistant 18/F)

I'm really unhappy. I suffered quite badly with mental health a few years ago which meant I had to be taken out of schools. Because of this I never got any qualifications, so I really want to go and get Maths/English, to be able to get a better job. I also broke my back and heels last year so I have issues walking long distances or standing up for too long.
    The other thing is I really have no interests. I have absolutely no idea what I want to do as a career, I wouldn't even know where to start?
    I also have no friends (like literally 2 people that I see about once a year) I really wanted to get back into some sort of education so I could meet people and just be an 18 year old. I also have to think about bills/rent/etc so I need to keep my job (which I really really hate, I work on a department so I'm constantly on my feet walking around which hurts my back/feet so much)

Aswell as all this I really want to move. Like to another city, i am literally just staying in my town because it is the safe option. I never go out, don't experience normal things, don't know anyone, and I just hate the environment because I've grown up here and now come back after years. It's not right for me.
    I just really would appreciate any form of guidance whether it being how to handle a job whilst studying/ how to get back into studying after years with no qualifications/ how to find a career path that interests you/ how to find friends / how to move city by yourself with not a lot of money.

Literally anything would be helpful. Thanks for reading all this as well 😄
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Bethlouise_)
    (First of all I'm not studying anything at the moment, I'm a retail assistant 18/F)

I'm really unhappy. I suffered quite badly with mental health a few years ago which meant I had to be taken out of schools. Because of this I never got any qualifications, so I really want to go and get Maths/English, to be able to get a better job. I also broke my back and heels last year so I have issues walking long distances or standing up for too long.
    The other thing is I really have no interests. I have absolutely no idea what I want to do as a career, I wouldn't even know where to start?
    I also have no friends (like literally 2 people that I see about once a year) I really wanted to get back into some sort of education so I could meet people and just be an 18 year old. I also have to think about bills/rent/etc so I need to keep my job (which I really really hate, I work on a department so I'm constantly on my feet walking around which hurts my back/feet so much)

Aswell as all this I really want to move. Like to another city, i am literally just staying in my town because it is the safe option. I never go out, don't experience normal things, don't know anyone, and I just hate the environment because I've grown up here and now come back after years. It's not right for me.
    I just really would appreciate any form of guidance whether it being how to handle a job whilst studying/ how to get back into studying after years with no qualifications/ how to find a career path that interests you/ how to find friends / how to move city by yourself with not a lot of money.

I think evening classes at college would be a good option to look at to get your english and maths and then the academic year after if you have a better idea at what you want to do then you could do an access course
    Can't help massively with the career path as i m not 100% after changing my mind 3 months ago, but maybe try and fit in some voluntary work to just give different things a go (and its always good to have extra stuff on your cv).

As for moving it depends how far you want to go, could you afford to find a house share and commute to your current city whilst looking for a new job?
    Have you checked to see if you can reduce any of your current bills or supplement your income some how to save some deposit money up, is there anything you dont use anymore that you could stick on ebay (every penny helps)?

I am in the same poistion in the sense that i dont know my career path.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    I think evening classes at college would be a good option to look at to get your english and maths and then the academic year after if you have a better idea at what you want to do then you could do an access course
    Can't help massively with the career path as i m not 100% after changing my mind 3 months ago, but maybe try and fit in some voluntary work to just give different things a go (and its always good to have extra stuff on your cv).

As for moving it depends how far you want to go, could you afford to find a house share and commute to your current city whilst looking for a new job?
    Have you checked to see if you can reduce any of your current bills or supplement your income some how to save some deposit money up, is there anything you dont use anymore that you could stick on ebay (every penny helps)?
    Out of interest , what do you study.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Out of interest , what do you study.
    I'm not a student at the moment, i've got a credit transfer to get an open degree in sciences for open uni starting october though.

I'm not a student at the moment, i've got a credit transfer to get an open degree in sciences for open uni starting october though.
    Ohh right, i thought you were a MH student nurse at UCLAN.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Ohh right, i thought you were a MH student nurse at UCLAN.
    I left the course in march.

I left the course in march.
    Ohh ok.

How was the course though and why did you change courses?

Sorry with the questions, i just want to know what i will be getting myself into.

Also, since you left you don't have to pay the loan since NHS covered your tuition?

I think you should find a further education college in your area and start your English and maths alongside a vocational course/BTEC.

ReputationRep:

Thanks, literally the same mindset, I've been putting everything on eBay/etc, to try and save some money. I've been doing all them online career tests but nothing's come out of it haha

ReputationRep:

Ask your doctor about Social Prescribing. my doctor told me about it. Its a new thing so i dont know if every doctor knows about it. Its for anyone whether your ill or not but not many people know about it. I find it really good because its just about telling the advisor your seeing what your interests are and they encourage you to do things or find out bout things for you. My advisor told me about a job fair her company were hosting last week. There were not a lot of paid jobs on offer but a lot of voluntary work to join where you can meet new people. I dint have mental health problems but my doctor just thought i should interact with people more as i told her that i only contact friends by text because they never want to go out.

Send an email to [email protected]
    Ask about social prescribing in your area
    and look up Shine enterprise centre on google

Social Prescribing and Shine is really good for bringing people together who dont have any or many friends or type social prescribing on google to see what t says because im not that good at describing exactly what it is
    My advisor is going to arrange for a group of people to do a photography course with her company and music lessons which i want to do both but if you tell the advisor what you think you like she will find out for you or tell you about things you might want to do if you are not sure. They will tell you about jobs or career choices.

While your at work you can maybe do an evening course for english, maths
    Apply for these jobs:
    Trainee Recruitment Consultant
    Work in a cinema
    Admin
    Work as a carer
    Go to walk in agencies on the high street and let them find you jobs its easier that way
    When i worked in retail i hated it too and being on my feet all day
    I like Admin/ Office, Trainee recruitment jobs because they pay well and im not on my feet all day like in retail jobs

Join this to make new friends because there are all ages on it including 18 year olds so click on this link
    www.Citysocializer.com

Citysocializer is for anyone but also for people who move to a new town or to London and they have no friends or do not know many people and maybe people on it can give you advice of how to move and find somewhere to live as some people on it have done that themselves

ReputationRep:

Join www.Seekingarrangement.com
    This is to make money from meeting wealthy men and you dont have to sleep with them but you have to tell them this before you meet them because men and women can join as a sugar baby and some men will pay you just to take you to restaurants, bars, etc because they are lonely
    type Seeking Arrangement on You Tube and it will show videos of women who joined and their experiences and how much money they made
    Its free to register and free to anyone who's a student but if your not a student then you have to pay every month but its worth it because you make money just from meeting people on it. If your lucky a man might even buy you your own flat or help you move to a new town but all you can do is just join and see what replies you get back. You dont have to meet anyone if you dont want to.
    I joined in January or last year i think but i cant remember the exact date i joined.
    I got quite a few replies which were quite interesting and i didnt even put my picture on the website but i havent arranged to meet anyone because i have not made the effort to pay the monthly fee. Maybe i will soon

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.