Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  20160613_122307774_iOS.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  454.1 KB

Attachment 548955548957

I really don't understand what to do for part C, this is from the June 2014 R paper (edexcel), would appreciate some help.

Thanks.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeRerumNatura)
    Name:  20160613_122307774_iOS.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  454.1 KB

I really don't understand what to do for part C, this is from the June 2014 R paper (edexcel), would appreciate some help.

Thanks.
    The height is frequency density = frequency / class width (full video tutorial here).

For part C is asking you to use linear interpolation, which you would first do by identifying at which class intervals the mean lies. So firstly, do a cumulative frequency table and use n/2 to find the frequency of the mean. Then figure at which group it belongs to and use this simple method:
    lower boundary of class + class width x (group frequency - mean frequency / group frequency)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    The height is frequency density = frequency / class width (full video tutorial here).

For part C is asking you to use linear interpolation, which you would first do by identifying at which class intervals the mean lies. So firstly, do a cumulative frequency table and use n/2 to find the frequency of the mean. Then figure at which group it belongs to and use this simple method:
    lower boundary of class + class width x (group frequency - mean frequency / group frequency)
    Hi,

Thanks, but how would I do this to get the number of people waiting between 3.5 and 7, which is what the question asks ? And why would you do n/2 I thought that was to find the median ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:

This is what they do in the mark scheme :

1/3*15 + 9 + 1/2*6 = 17

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks, but how would I do this to get the number of people waiting between 3.5 and 7, which is what the question asks ? And why would you do n/2 I thought that was to find the median ?

Thanks
    That was for part d, where you use n/2 for the median.

For C you should use your histogram, since for the previous part you were told to find the height of the group 2-4. Then find the area of the bar from between 3.5 - 4, for 5-6 (which is just 9 from the table) and for 7 (which is just 6 from the the table)

This is what they do in the mark scheme :

1/3*15 + 9 + 1/2*6 = 17
    The bit in bold above

ReputationRep:
    That was for part d, where you use n/2 for the median.

For C you should use your histogram, since for the previous part you were told to find the height of the group 2-4. Then find the area of the bar from between 3.5 - 4, for 5-6 (which is just 9 from the table) and for 7 (which is just 6 from the the table)

The bit in bold above

Hi,

Thanks so much, I understand it now, I didn't think to use the histogram.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.