Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I've just completed my first year in English (lit). My history with University education is a bit complicated because before this I did 2 years of a Psych degree somewhere else. I dropped out of that because I realised it wasn't what I wanted to do, took a gap year, and picked English.

It was mainly the freedom that comes with having an English degree that attracted me. It was between this and languages. I mainly wanted the opportunity to travel and experience different cultures. English allows you to do that and teach English as a foreign language, but also gives a variety of other options, such as publishing, editing, journalism, and regular teaching (in your own country). However, in actuality I hate Journalism and regular English teaching, so the only other option left for me related to my degree was Publishing, in the Editorial line of work.

In recent months, I also stumbled upon Law. (I know, I increasingly seem to be a complicated person). I used to think I disliked Law, but having researched a lot, I found I have an interest in it. I guess it's been a process of trying to find myself, and I think my interests ultimately lie somewhere between English and Law.

This is because with English I like the freedom it provides, as well as I guess the idea of having a job within a creative industry (editorial publishing) because I am a creative person and it seems a sect I would be happy to work in. However if I'm not travelling and teaching English abroad, etc, then Editorial alone, I don't feel it provides enough.. practical stimulation for me.
    Editing is good and everything but I also like the idea of being in a job where I can grow, excell, be stimulated, and even ultimately make more money to reflect that. In publishing, unless it's just years you're racking up, then you'll have to switch roles in the Publishing houses to make any more money (to an already not that high of a pay, and it's not that huge jump thereafter).

I was willing to go through all that though, do my English and then do Law as postgrad with conversion so that I have best of both worlds. But now after researching for a possible work experience at some publishing houses, I've learned that they now collaborate a lot with marketing (ok..), and, further, because of modern times, are almost completely integrated with social media... Not good. Anything to do with Marketing is something I can't stand, but when it's combined with social media, you may as well put me on an Accounting course because those are the 2 things I hate.

So now I'm really worried. Now I feel that even this whole Editorial Publishing thing is out, so what do I have left with English, really? Mainly only the ability to travel and teach English. I am a bit of a writer too, but you don't need an English degree to be a writer. So is the next 3 years of my course (after already switching from Psych) even worth it?

So, to conclude: seeing that I apparently won't like anything to do with English apart from the travelling and teaching it as a foreign language, and that Law is something I have an interest in, have researched, seems to have the stimulation, growth and serious career future income (as well as seems to have a variety of roles and sections... if you haven't noticed variety and freedom mean a lot to me), I am wondering whether I should just switch into Law now? (If they'll even take me?!)

The thing is that if I switch to Law I can't just travel then. Not even if I want to actually move and settle, because I guess I'll be learning 'English' law, so it won't just be applicable to any other country you go to, where you can just go with that degree and immediately continue taking up work. And the travelling aspect is important to me. But also in long term I think university education is also an investment.. am I going to invest all these years in English lit just for travelling and miss out on an important base for real career stability and the growth it offers?

I am really stuck! Please someone help.

I would really love to hear from English postgrads/Law postgrads especially, and their experiences in this. But really I will appreciate anyone's opinion on this because I don't want to waste more time than I feel like I already have.

I've done 3 years now and still with no clear practical focus in where to apply or invest the things I've learned, and I don't want to waste more because I didn't think more about it. :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by missheisenberg)
    Hi there, I've just completed my first year in English (lit). My history with University education is a bit complicated because before this I did 2 years of a Psych degree somewhere else. I dropped out of that because I realised it wasn't what I wanted to do, took a gap year, and picked English.

It was mainly the freedom that comes with having an English degree that attracted me. It was between this and languages. I mainly wanted the opportunity to travel and experience different cultures. English allows you to do that and teach English as a foreign language, but also gives a variety of other options, such as publishing, editing, journalism, and regular teaching (in your own country). However, in actuality I hate Journalism and regular English teaching, so the only other option left for me related to my degree was Publishing, in the Editorial line of work.

In recent months, I also stumbled upon Law. (I know, I increasingly seem to be a complicated person). I used to think I disliked Law, but having researched a lot, I found I have an interest in it. I guess it's been a process of trying to find myself, and I think my interests ultimately lie somewhere between English and Law.

This is because with English I like the freedom it provides, as well as I guess the idea of having a job within a creative industry (editorial publishing) because I am a creative person and it seems a sect I would be happy to work in. However if I'm not travelling and teaching English abroad, etc, then Editorial alone, I don't feel it provides enough.. practical stimulation for me.
    Editing is good and everything but I also like the idea of being in a job where I can grow, excell, be stimulated, and even ultimately make more money to reflect that. In publishing, unless it's just years you're racking up, then you'll have to switch roles in the Publishing houses to make any more money (to an already not that high of a pay, and it's not that huge jump thereafter).

I was willing to go through all that though, do my English and then do Law as postgrad with conversion so that I have best of both worlds. But now after researching for a possible work experience at some publishing houses, I've learned that they now collaborate a lot with marketing (ok..), and, further, because of modern times, are almost completely integrated with social media... Not good. Anything to do with Marketing is something I can't stand, but when it's combined with social media, you may as well put me on an Accounting course because those are the 2 things I hate.

So now I'm really worried. Now I feel that even this whole Editorial Publishing thing is out, so what do I have left with English, really? Mainly only the ability to travel and teach English. I am a bit of a writer too, but you don't need an English degree to be a writer. So is the next 3 years of my course (after already switching from Psych) even worth it?

So, to conclude: seeing that I apparently won't like anything to do with English apart from the travelling and teaching it as a foreign language, and that Law is something I have an interest in, have researched, seems to have the stimulation, growth and serious career future income (as well as seems to have a variety of roles and sections... if you haven't noticed variety and freedom mean a lot to me), I am wondering whether I should just switch into Law now? (If they'll even take me?!)

The thing is that if I switch to Law I can't just travel then. Not even if I want to actually move and settle, because I guess I'll be learning 'English' law, so it won't just be applicable to any other country you go to, where you can just go with that degree and immediately continue taking up work. And the travelling aspect is important to me. But also in long term I think university education is also an investment.. am I going to invest all these years in English lit just for travelling and miss out on an important base for real career stability and the growth it offers?

I am really stuck! Please someone help.

I would really love to hear from English postgrads/Law postgrads especially, and their experiences in this. But really I will appreciate anyone's opinion on this because I don't want to waste more time than I feel like I already have.

I've done 3 years now and still with no clear practical focus in where to apply or invest the things I've learned, and I don't want to waste more because I didn't think more about it. :/

Unfortunately, by reading your extremely long post it just seems as though you have naught a clue as to where you want to go from uni. Which is not uncommon, just not really helpful to be honest.

There's a huge difference between enjoying Law and then studying it. Have you considered which section in law you'd actually like? Criminal, Property, etc?

I think you just need to try and find what you like. If teaching or publishing isn't your thing, then maybe look into something else like advertising or anything from HR?

It's completely fine to not know what career you want to go into. I spoke to someone as of late, who is 49 and all his life was was a nice for 30 odd years... Turns out he's going back to uni this Sept to train to become a lawyer as that's he's really wanted to do. I said good on him!
    Honestly, it's never too late to find your passion or career no matte how old you.

Have you not tried any of the creative industry like media; working for the BBC or in radio? How about things like television industry being a script supervisor things like that?

One thing you have to remember is that English Lit doesn't lead you into a specific career. It's not like a Nursing degree, or a Teaching degree or a Medicine degree. Those are for specific career after. Whilst, our degrees are usually studied because you enjoy it and what to know more. It carries way more transferable skills where you can use and apply these skills in various settings.

Don't feel pressured to get a grad job straight after. Just enjoy your student time now. Graduate, and then find a job that sounds interesting to you and hopefully someone will switch that light-bulb on and tell you to pursue a career you would want to be in!

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Unfortunately, by reading your extremely long post it just seems as though you have naught a clue as to where you want to go from uni. Which is not uncommon, just not really helpful to be honest.

There's a huge difference between enjoying Law and then studying it. Have you considered which section in law you'd actually like? Criminal, Property, etc?

I think you just need to try and find what you like. If teaching or publishing isn't your thing, then maybe look into something else like advertising or anything from HR?

It's completely fine to not know what career you want to go into. I spoke to someone as of late, who is 49 and all his life was was a nice for 30 odd years... Turns out he's going back to uni this Sept to train to become a lawyer as that's he's really wanted to do. I said good on him!
    Honestly, it's never too late to find your passion or career no matte how old you.

Have you not tried any of the creative industry like media; working for the BBC or in radio? How about things like television industry being a script supervisor things like that?

One thing you have to remember is that English Lit doesn't lead you into a specific career. It's not like a Nursing degree, or a Teaching degree or a Medicine degree. Those are for specific career after. Whilst, our degrees are usually studied because you enjoy it and what to know more. It carries way more transferable skills where you can use and apply these skills in various settings.

Don't feel pressured to get a grad job straight after. Just enjoy your student time now. Graduate, and then find a job that sounds interesting to you and hopefully someone will switch that light-bulb on and tell you to pursue a career you would want to be in!

Best of luck!
    It wasn't that long was it? Haha.

Thanks for your reply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.