Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anything I need to know before working in a cafe/restaurant? People with experience, I'm welcome to any tips and dos/don'ts!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    be polite, friendly, smile when you can and welcoming. obviously depends on the kind of place you'll be working at (I work at a small but fairly expensive Japanese restaurant) and customer service is key.
    For a restaurant, definitely know the menu and table numbers so you know where to deliver food and can explain the menu, how it's made etc to the customer. Places will usually train you to their standard so don't worry too much, I'm sure you'll do great xx
    ps - every customer is different and will want different service, some like lots of attention to explain the menu whereas other prefer for you to stand back while they chat. Also, even when it's not busy there is usually something to do(cleaning/clearing tables etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choccie88)
    be polite, friendly, smile when you can and welcoming. obviously depends on the kind of place you'll be working at (I work at a small but fairly expensive Japanese restaurant) and customer service is key.
    For a restaurant, definitely know the menu and table numbers so you know where to deliver food and can explain the menu, how it's made etc to the customer. Places will usually train you to their standard so don't worry too much, I'm sure you'll do great xx
    ps - every customer is different and will want different service, some like lots of attention to explain the menu whereas other prefer for you to stand back while they chat. Also, even when it's not busy there is usually something to do(cleaning/clearing tables etc)
    Thank you so much! It has a bar, cafe and restaurant, and completely changes into a fancy restaurant at night; I'll be learning lots of skills if I get the job haha. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    that's pretty similar to mine tbh apart from the cafe. for the bar, you'll get to learn how to make drinks etc which is a p useful skill (be wary of the black trays to hold drinks as it can get a bit wobbly if you've got about 5 on one tray, always put one in the middle to centre it and don't risk breaking/dropping stuff, it's better to make two trips than dropping it all, something which I've done

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.