The Student Room Group

A Level Maths or Statistics?

I'm finishing my GCSEs this week and next week is my post 16 induction. I had an interview a few months ago with it in my head that I'll be picking Computer Science, Maths, Physics and ICT or Media but came out with BTEC ICT, Media, Statistics and Applied Science (didn't do computing GCSE, apparently physics is a lot harder than just general science and I'm predicted a C in physics).
BTEC ICT was cancelled a few weeks ago because there weren't enough people doing it so instead I've been given business studies.
I was chosen statistics because I was predicted a B in my maths GCSE and apparently maths is a lot harder than statistics when it comes to A Levels.
I'm not sure if I should change it to Maths but I don't want it to be too hard for me to get a pass.
So which A Level would you say is the hardest: Maths or Statistics?
(edited 7 years ago)
Maths is harder.
Reply 2
The only statistics i have done is in maths itself so i wouldn't know about that. The real question you should be asking yourself is that what do u want to do in the future in university ?
Reply 3
Original post by lyamlim97
The only statistics i have done is in maths itself so i wouldn't know about that. The real question you should be asking yourself is that what do u want to do in the future in university ?

I'm going to college after my A Levels and I've chosen to do a computer games course (planning to get a job in the computer games industry but not necessarily the developing side of it)
Reply 4
Original post by DanF2000
I'm going to college after my A Levels and I've chosen to do a computer games course (planning to get a job in the computer games industry but not necessarily the developing side of it)

Hmmm, id say do maths as some of the courses i went to check do require maths at A-level
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Maths is harder but Statistics is also challenging when it comes probability
Reply 6
Original post by lyamlim97
Hmmm, id say do maths as some of the courses i when to check do require maths at A-level

I agree with you
I personally find the pure, decision and mechanics modules in Maths easier than the statistics modules. Statistics I find harder because it requires a lot of inference and reading around questions, whereas in pure maths you are told exactly what is needed.
Reply 8
I'll see what both maths and statistics are like in my induction day but I'm leaning towards picking maths as an A Level. I think that if I get a B or higher for my maths GCSE, I'll ask to change statistics to maths after the results day. If not, I'll stick with statistics.
I'm finishing my GCSEs this week and next week is my post 16 induction. I had an interview a few months ago with it in my head that I'll be picking Computer Science, Maths, Physics and ICT or Media but came out with BTEC ICT, Media, Statistics and Applied Science (didn't do computing GCSE, apparently physics is a lot harder than just general science and I'm predicted a C in physics).
BTEC ICT was cancelled a few weeks ago because there weren't enough people doing it so instead I've been given business studies.
I was chosen statistics because I was predicted a B in my maths GCSE and apparently maths is a lot harder than statistics when it comes to A Levels.
I'm not sure if I should change it to Maths but I don't want it to be too hard for me to get a pass.
So which A Level would you say is the hardest: Maths or Statistics?

If anything I had no idea Statisticts is a stubject - Most likely ripped from economics. Maths A level should be a no brainer. Even student room has a forum saying that a 1/3 of students get As.
Being a futher maths student on WJEC I am very confident for my A* 👍. If anything if you like Maths, Physics should be no problem.

You should have been told countless times by now then A levels require revision. For some A level Maths students - it requires not a lot compared to other subjects.

Work backwards then- what subjects are accepted for entry on to the college course?
Then pick the subjects you will be most likely to achieve the minimum grades needed from.

As you are working at a grade B in GCSE maths, stats is likely to be far more accessible. It carries the same UCAS points as another A-Level, so if your college course would accept it, go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest