Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'd just like to ask how are "joint degrees" generally perceived by employers and peers?

By Joint, I mean having a Mechanical and Automotive degree as opposed to just Mechanical? I would like to apply to the former because I have always liked automobiles and the would really like to join that industry after hopefully graduating, but I've heard that other Engineering employers (non-automotive) would look negatively on such a degree.

I only ask because if I changed my mind slightly I'd just like to know if I'd really be putting myself in a negative light by having a joint degree.

If it helps, the second year where I have researched generally have only one module different (when Mech and Mech/Auto are compared) and even third year is relatively similar)

Thanks a lot.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Mr Makaveli)
    Hello,

I'd just like to ask how are "joint degrees" generally perceived by employers and peers?

By Joint, I mean having a Mechanical and Automotive degree as opposed to just Mechanical?
    I've moved your thread to the Engineering forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mr Makaveli)
    but I've heard that other Engineering employers (non-automotive) would look negatively on such a degree..
    Who told you that? I haven't seen any evidence of that being the case.

ReputationRep:
    If that was the case the aerospace and biomedical graduates would be royally screwed.

If you're that worried about it you can probably just ask to be awarded the MechEng degree rather than MechEng w/ automotive seeing as the difference is so small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I've moved your thread to the Engineering forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers for that

(Original post by Smack)
    Who told you that? I haven't seen any evidence of that being the case.

(Original post by Helloworld_95)
    If that was the case the aerospace and biomedical graduates would be royally screwed.

If you're that worried about it you can probably just ask to be awarded the MechEng degree rather than MechEng w/ automotive seeing as the difference is so small.
    Thanks a lot for your replies guys and to be honest It does make sense what you're saying,It's just I've heard a lot of things from upper years and other interested Mechanical students, but I should've guessed since they are all Mechanical prospects they would say that.

Anyway, I have decided to carry on and follow the Mech/Auto route so thanks again.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.