Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new to this, so please forgive any mistakes.
    I have a problem, I can't do the 4 a-levels I chose :
    English Lit
    Maths
    Economics
    French

There's a clash and I cannot do both maths and economics. Reading other threads, it seems to me that should I want to carry on with economics (which looks really good!) I will definitely need maths. But I don't want to quit english and french ( am also conisdering english at uni). My only alternative option to maths at my school is theatre studies, since the others were art and physics etc, which I am totally hopeless at.

If I do theatre studies will it be looked down on by the top unis. Also, will doing economics now instead of maths totally ruin my chances if i really love it and want to carry on?

I don't see how I can decide since I need to do maths now to have a chance with economics and I need to do economics now to see if it is worth me taking to uni! :confused:

Sorry for rambling, but I would love to hear your views on what I should do, since everyone I know are being rather unhelpful and you have given great advice to other ppl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dewdrop)
    Hi, I'm new to this, so please forgive any mistakes.
    I have a problem, I can't do the 4 a-levels I chose :
    English Lit
    Maths
    Economics
    French

There's a clash and I cannot do both maths and economics. Reading other threads, it seems to me that should I want to carry on with economics (which looks really good!) I will definitely need maths. But I don't want to quit english and french
    some people at my school who had this problem often went part-time to another school or 6th form college where they too offered the same course but didn't clash with their other subjects. Is this possible for you? I can understand that you want to do both maths and economics (which are very good A level choices) so i would suggest talking to your teachers and looking at other schools to see if this can be achieveable.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I've asked and they said that they didn't do that due to timetabling constraints etc.. I really want to go to this school you see, and the only option I have according to them, is to take maths outside of school.
    I get the feeling though, that that would be really hard work and I don't want to have an overload!
    Thanks for the advice, I might have to think about moving to another school

ReputationRep:
    I've asked and they said that they didn't do that due to timetabling constraints etc.. I really want to go to this school you see, and the only option I have according to them, is to take maths outside of school.
    I get the feeling though, that that would be really hard work and I don't want to have an overload!

Thanks for the advice, I might have to think about moving to another school
    it may be, is the school far away from the other? if so, it is possible. If you really want to do those subjects and can't see any way round it,i would suggest looking for other schools that offer them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    it may be, is the school far away from the other? if so, it is possible. If you really want to do those subjects and can't see any way round it,i would suggest looking for other schools that offer them.

What do you think of theatre studies out of interest? Does it have the same reputation of the other "studies" subjects with univerities?
    THe reason I don't want to move from this school, is that it is a grammar and was hard to get into and it would be throwing away the effort if i don't stay. Also, its hard to apply to other places now. They only told me about the clash a few days after exams had finished. It all depends on whether I will really enjoy economics. I have to say that I was only considering maths for the economics, since its not my strongest subject.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of theatre studies out of interest? Does it have the same reputation of the other "studies" subjects with univerities?
    THe reason I don't want to move from this school, is that it is a grammar and was hard to get into and it would be throwing away the effort if i don't stay. Also, its hard to apply to other places now. They only told me about the clash a few days after exams had finished. It all depends on whether I will really enjoy economics. I have to say that I was only considering maths for the economics, since its not my strongest subject.
    I personnally didn't take it, mainly because i didn't take it at GCSE. From what people have told me that have already taken it, they have said that it is difficult and i would say that it is a good A level (depending on what you want to do of course) if you are thinking of going into this field then i would strongly recommend taking it. However, if you are only taking it to fill up the extra space then i would think very carefully about it, as you want to do what YOU want to do, not what other people are telling you what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    I personnally didn't take it, mainly because i didn't take it at GCSE. From what people have told me that have already taken it, they have said that it is difficult and i would say that it is a good A level (depending on what you want to do of course) if you are thinking of going into this field then i would strongly recommend taking it. However, if you are only taking it to fill up the extra space then i would think very carefully about it, as you want to do what YOU want to do, not what other people are telling you what to do.
    I would only consider taking it if I thought it might support my english. The sylabbus seems ok and I have to talk to the teachers.
    But I was even more reluctant to take maths, since i've never even considered taking it at a-level, and it was my second choice to latin ( which they decided not to teach). So I'll probably have more fun doing theatre than maths, but that doesn't mean its the best thing to do, does it?

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.