Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing gcse edexcel history (topics Medicine, Germany and Surgery) and for the 16 markers could I still get a high amount of marks only writing 3 paragraphs and a conclusion? 2 arguing for and 1 against or vice versa, then a conclusion) instead of 4 paras? My teacher says this is fine but I really want to do well in history so I'm cautious. I did this in the medicine paper last Monday and my Germany paper is tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosieelms)
    I'm doing gcse edexcel history (topics Medicine, Germany and Surgery) and for the 16 markers could I still get a high amount of marks only writing 3 paragraphs and a conclusion? 2 arguing for and 1 against or vice versa, then a conclusion) instead of 4 paras? My teacher says this is fine but I really want to do well in history so I'm cautious. I did this in the medicine paper last Monday and my Germany paper is tomorrow.
    If you want good marks you need some counterargument, a conclusion and a broad range of points with relevant and detailed evidence that has been analysed effectively. This can only be achieved if you do 2 points for and 1 point against, there's simply not enough time!

History does not require balance, you need a counterargument but your counterargument cannot be 50% of your essay. If you want to show your opinion is the right opinion, you need more points on your side. Think of it as a weighing scale, you put one point for the motion on one end, and one point against at the other end. To come to a conclusive opinion, you must put your final point on whichever side you support.

Remember when writing an essay, you're not an historian talking in a documentary. No narrative. Think of yourself being a lawyer. This helps me to be really critical of information and enables me to help my argument flow.

Finally, the best essays will have a punchy conclusion and their opposing point can be drawn to their own argument.

ReputationRep:
    Ah Im doing exactly the same topics as you. How are you feeling about surgery tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    It's all source based whilst you still have include your own knowledge etc so very nervous but it's my last exam so in a sense relieved. How about you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.