The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
BlueAngel
Yeah but why dont they belong in a bowl of fruit then. No one puts tomatoes in a bowl of fruit.

I'm not sure, I suppose it just happened to work out like that :confused:
BlueAngel
Yeah but why dont they belong in a bowl of fruit then. No one puts tomatoes in a bowl of fruit.

Fruits don't have to be sweet. Though some tomatoes are quite sweet..
Reply 102
BlueAngel

Common mistake! People usually tend to associate fruit with sweet (or sour :wink: ). As a result some find it difficult to accept the scientific fact :smile:
Reply 103
Hayley...
Fruits don't have to be sweet. Though some tomatoes are quite sweet..

what! bananas arent fruits? :confused:
TheWolf
what! bananas arent fruits? :confused:

I was wrong, they are, it's the 'banana tree' bit that's a misnomer.
Fluffy
Fruit - in its strict botanical sense, the fleshy or dry ripened ovary of a plant, enclosing the seed or seeds. Thus, apricots, bananas, and grapes, as well as bean pods, corn grains, tomatoes, cucumbers, and (in their shells) acorns and almonds, are all technically fruits.
This definition of fruit is very broad, and encompasses almost everything that contains seeds.

Vegetables. This includes: Root crops like potatoes, carrots and turnips
Bulbs like onions and garlic
Stems like asparagus
Leaves like lettuce and cabbage
Flowers like broccoli and cauliflower

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/pulses.html
Reply 106
Fruit of course because it has seeds in it
Reply 107
Veg.

technically i admit it is a fruit, but its position and role in food is one of a vegetable, so it has become a vegetable (for me at least) :smile:
kikzen
Veg.

technically i admit it is a fruit, but its position and role in food is one of a vegetable, so it has become a vegetable (for me at least) :smile:

Yeah I understand that it has seeds and all, but a tomato has always to me been a vegetable.
kikzen
Veg.

But what about other fruits roles? Not sure if this would apply but what about using orange with duck and apples with pork? I suppose you could argue they are being used as vegetables that way.
Reply 110
NDGAARONDI
But what about other fruits roles? Not sure if this would apply but what about using orange with duck and apples with pork? I suppose you could argue they are being used as vegetables that way.

but their primary roles are those of fruits.
amazingtrade
The best one was when me and my uni mates started a debate in 5th Avenue night club in Manchester. It was "Is a jaffa cake a biscuit or a cake" we asked the DJ, the bouncers and everybody, in fact its almost legandary now that when I went a couple of weeks later somebody asked me the same question. Its a great harmless drunk game!

Its sadly ended now though.

If my memory is correct I think they called them cakes so they didn't havee to charge some luxuries tax that there was on biscuits - just a loophole in the law I think. Does anyone care to confirm this for me.

MB
Reply 112
I think this is the general rule:

If it has SEEDS, its a FRUIT
since when does anyone have tomatoe in their fruit salad??? but yet everyone calls them a fruit.
Reply 114
charliefarley
since when does anyone have tomatoe in their fruit salad??? but yet everyone calls them a fruit.

but there are some foods which do not mix. lemons are fruits, yet they dont get wedged in sandwiches or mashed in fruit salads. i think there are accepted ways of eating things, and tomatoes (as much as i dislike them) apparently go well in sandwiches etc. also there is such thing a tomatoe juice like there is apple, pinapple juice....but there's no courgette juice in the sainsbury's shelves!! :smile:
Reply 115
IT'S A FRUIT! End of!!!
Reply 116
Fluffy
IT'S A FRUIT! End of!!!

:biggrin: should have been in debate forum! dont worry i completely agree.
FRUIT!!!
Reply 117
neha p
:biggrin: should have been in debate forum! dont worry i completely agree.

FRUIT!!!

But it is a fruit! It's not open to discussion!!! It's like saying that night is day!
neha p
but there are some foods which do not mix. lemons are fruits, yet they dont get wedged in sandwiches or mashed in fruit salads. i think there are accepted ways of eating things, and tomatoes (as much as i dislike them) apparently go well in sandwiches etc. also there is such thing a tomatoe juice like there is apple, pinapple juice....but there's no courgette juice in the sainsbury's shelves!! :smile:

Damn good points!! I dont like them much at all either. yuck yuck yuck!!!
Reply 119
Saf!
Are tomatoes a fruit or a vegetable????
me and my sister spent all day arguing about it:rolleyes:

Fruit they have seeds!

Latest

Trending

Trending