Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys, first post here so I hope im doing this the right way.

Basically, I have two slots left for my Uni choices, and after a lot of narrowing down, its come down to these four. I sadly most likely won't have the opportunity to visit any of these places (live in Denmark), so im sorta relying on data, the uni websites, and anecdotal evidence.

Im looking to do Civil Engineering and my other three unis are:
    - Edinburgh
    - Cardiff
    - Leeds

Can anyone who has studied at either of these four give me a rundown of the pros and cons? I'm interested specifically in:

- Living expenses
    - Quality of lecturers and course
    - Quality of facilities
    - Quality of accomodation
    - Ease of transport
    - City life
    - Graduate job opportunities

So far some thoughts that stick out:

Swansea:

New campus looks absolutely beast!
    Unsure about industry connections since it is a bit removed

Liverpool

Read a huge amount of investment is going into the facilities
    Seems to be looked down upon domestically

Newcastle

People tell me the city life is great
    Year 4 module choices look a bit irritating (having to choose one of four branches)

Strathclyde

Ill be paying 1820GBP as im EU student so loans would be payed back faster
    No idea whether the actual university has good facilites, support etc since it isnt as well known outside of Scotland
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by KardasDragon)

Basically, I have two slots left for my Uni choices, and after a lot of narrowing down, its come down to these four. I sadly most likely won't have the opportunity to visit any of these places (live in Denmark), so im sorta relying on data, the uni websites, and anecdotal evidence.
    When are you applying?

And what are your other choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    2017, I still have a couple months until this stuff is to be settled, but my school counsellor told me its good to get a headstart on this.

Other choices as in the other unis i considered? If you mean that then i crossed off Warwick and Loughborough. Warwick's course isnt very engineering-like and Loughborough has expensive accomodation, and well as being in locations i wouldn't be happy living in. If you meant the unis that filled my other three slots, i posted them in the OP.

There is a scenario B where I somehow get a 6 in HL Maths (i do the IB). It's not likely but i will be studying my ass off the whole summer. Im not getting my hopes up though and am instead expecting a 5. Oddly enough I've already selected the uni's I'd apply to in that scenario:

- Edinburgh
    - Glasgow
    - Nottingham
    - Southampton
    - Sheffield
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    2017, I still have a couple months until this stuff is to be settled, but my school counsellor told me its good to get a headstart on this.

Other choices as in the other unis i considered? If you mean that then i crossed off Warwick and Loughborough. Warwick's course isnt very engineering-like and Loughborough has expensive accomodation, and well as being in locations i wouldn't be happy living in. If you meant the unis that filled my other three slots, i posted them in the OP.

There is a scenario B where I somehow get a 6 in HL Maths (i do the IB). It's not likely but i will be studying my ass off the whole summer. Im not getting my hopes up though and am instead expecting a 5. Oddly enough I've already selected the uni's I'd apply to in that scenario:

- Edinburgh
    - Glasgow
    - Nottingham
    - Southampton
    - Sheffield
    You have until 15th January 2017. Relax... and try to visit some.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Im looking to do Civil Engineering and my other three unis are:
    - Edinburgh
    - Cardiff
    - Leeds

Can anyone who has studied at either of these four give me a rundown of the pros and cons? I'm interested specifically in:

- Living expenses
    - Quality of lecturers and course
    - Quality of facilities
    - Quality of accomodation
    - Ease of transport
    - City life
    - Graduate job opportunities

So far some thoughts that stick out:

Swansea:

New campus looks absolutely beast!
    Unsure about industry connections since it is a bit removed

Liverpool

Read a huge amount of investment is going into the facilities
    Seems to be looked down upon domestically

Newcastle

People tell me the city life is great
    Year 4 module choices look a bit irritating (having to choose one of four branches)

Strathclyde

Ill be paying 1820GBP as im EU student so loans would be payed back faster
    No idea whether the actual university has good facilites, support etc since it isnt as well known outside of Scotland
    If you're an EU student you should get Strathclyde for free. And I personally think that Strathclyde for free is a very good deal, given that it's generally considered to be the best engineering university in Scotland.

Liverpool isn't looked down upon domestically. It's only a couple of people who don't have any engineering experience on this site that seem to perpetuate that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.