Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I'm french and I have a baccalaureat with a grade of 14.02 (That's a triple A), I had a 20 out of 20 in English, and I had very good grades except in Math where I had a 6 out of 20, which is a pretty bad grade. So I want to apply to university in England, I tried Birmingham, BCU and Aston, first Aston told me that I am more than welcome to apply to business school but then I told them about my bad grade in math and they said that they can't offer me a place. Same for BCU and Liverpool university, they said my grade in math was bad and therefore I can't apply to management and human resources. I've had a 15 out of 20 in human resources, I did good with math in human resources and Economy where I also had a 15, which is a good grade and yet, my only bad grade in math prevents me from applying.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit discouraged, I really wanted to study and live in the UK, it is a dream for me. I sent a message to Brighton university and Manchester, I looked for other courses where there is no math and I'm waiting for their answers.

I guess my questions are, do you guys think I have a chance to get in uni with such a bad grade in math? And do you think I have a chance through clearing? How does clearing work if you have had a bad grade in math or any other main subject? And last thing, are there any universities that are ok with a bad grade in math?

Thank you!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Riley94)
    Hi,

So I'm french and I have a baccalaureat with a grade of 14.02 (That's a triple A), I had a 20 out of 20 in English, and I had very good grades except in Math where I had a 6 out of 20, which is a pretty bad grade. So I want to apply to university in England, I tried Birmingham, BCU and Aston, first Aston told me that I am more than welcome to apply to business school but then I told them about my bad grade in math and they said that they can't offer me a place. Same for BCU and Liverpool university, they said my grade in math was bad and therefore I can't apply to management and human resources. I've had a 15 out of 20 in human resources, I did good with math in human resources and Economy where I also had a 15, which is a good grade and yet, my only bad grade in math prevents me from applying.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit discouraged, I really wanted to study and live in the UK, it is a dream for me. I sent a message to Brighton university and Manchester, I looked for other courses where there is no math and I'm waiting for their answers.

I guess my questions are, do you guys think I have a chance to get in uni with such a bad grade in math? And do you think I have a chance through clearing? How does clearing work if you have had a bad grade in math or any other main subject? And last thing, are there any universities that are ok with a bad grade in math?

Thank you!
    It entirely depends on the course. eg. you don't need maths for arts&humanities courses (except Economics at some universities)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It entirely depends on the course. eg. you don't need maths for arts&humanities courses (except Economics at some universities)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So since I have good grades, if I apply to something where there's no math, it should be good then? They won't ask me about my grades in math? Because I had the impression that they all wanted a minimum of 10 in math in every courses which I find a bit silly if math aren't related to the course...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Riley94)
    So since I have good grades, if I apply to something where there's no math, it should be good then? They won't ask me about my grades in math? Because I had the impression that they all wanted a minimum of 10 in math in every courses which I find a bit silly if math aren't related to the course...
    If you apply through UCAS then you should be declaring all of your grades.

Universities can then chose to ignore poor results in subjects that aren't relevant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.