Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What banks allow overdraft before first payment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting uni this September but my student finance only comes in on the 18th of October but I move in on the 18th September. My accomadation are cool with it but I won't have any money to live off and have no one to ask to borrow money. Does anyone know if/what banks do student accounts that will allow me to go in the overdraft before putting any money in?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The banks will let you open an accoount once you have confirmation of yout place. You will be fine. You might want to look at carying size of overdraft in the first year.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware pretty much all the banks allow you to get an overdraft before your first payment comes through from SF so long as you have UCAS proof of course confirmation. I'm with Lloyds and I got my overdraft immediately after walking out the bank with my confirmation letter some time in June a few years ago.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    As far as I'm aware, you can set them up and get them as soon as you set your bank account up. I remember doing that with Lloyds years ago.

ReputationRep:
    HSBC let me withdraw £400 of my 500 overdraft the day I opened it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.